Plant I.D. Help needed

spanko

Second picture could be Pterogorgia guadalupensis a photosynthetic gorgonian. Have to research the Rhotophyta in the first pic, maybe someone else will chime in. Could be a Gelidium of some sort.

meowzer

Gorgonian...hmmm...I have never seen one like that....
LOL...The 2nd one is being eaten by the tangs....I had planted it...they tore it up from the sand...

meowzer

Henry...see page 172 of the coral book...top left gorg...It has flattened branches like that, no polyps of course....it's too new probably....so DO I plant it in sand...or in rock?

meowzer

OK...I just got word from the shipper that the red one is a red flame algae....and the green is cactus caulpera...AHHHHHH...Do I want Caulpera???
He says it in non-invasive....any experience anyone???

meowzer

OH yeah....I also got some Codium.....it's floating around....lol...
And a Halimeda...which is in the sand
and some macro...which I'll just let float around for the tangs to eat

meowzer

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3083137
That first is indeed Bryothamnion sp. The caulerpa in also not invasive as you were told.
LOL...Well I have planted it a few times, and the tangs keep pulling it up and trying to eat it....
Should I do anything special with the Caulpera...right now I just have it stuck in the sand

cranberry

Tangs! Kiss it good bye.
I've never kept Cactus Caulerpa. Maybe if you get it growing good we can do a swap :)
What kind of camera do you have going on over there Kitty?

meowzer

It's a cheapo Sanyo digital 10.0 mega pixel...3x optical zoom
I have a very hard time getting good pictures....as I am sure you noticed...LOL

cranberry

Erf... did that sound rude? I was gonna see if your white balance was basically a "take what you are given" kind of thing.

meowzer

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3083169
Erf... did that sound rude? I was gonna see if your white balance was basically a "take what you are given" kind of thing.
NO...It wasn't rude...LOL....I....And I have no clue what white balance is....
All I know is certain views, and with my new MH (YELLOW) lookin lights a lot of pics come out greenish
ONLY in the 225 though...that is why I think it has something to do with my new bulbs....next time I get bulbs I am getting different ones

cranberry

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3083170
NO...It wasn't rude...LOL....I....And I have no clue what white balance is....

I figured as much, that's why I thought I would ask what camera you had so I could bypass the explanation and go look it up myself...

meowzer

Yeah, it gets those dots on the side..sorta...BUT it is not green.....The guy who sent it is who told me that's what it is
I put a small piece of the flame red stuff in the 29g to see what it will do

teresaq

That dosent look like cactus cap, looks like a sea whip, though I am sure John knows what he has. I would move it to your 29 too to see what it does.
T

meowzer

LOL...I will see what it does tonight...and maybe move it tomorrow...or find a good place for it anyhows.....
Nothing is messing with it...it's just that I placed it on the sand and it keeps getting knocked around