Plant I.D. Help needed

aquaknight

Photo gorgonians have requirements very similar to SPS, except for perfect water, can be a little off. They do however need strong light and strong, but not direct, water flow. These guys live in the tidal surge zone in the ocean and are subject to some intense waves.

meowzer

Well it is in the tank with the Metal halides, and I have plenty of flow....I will examine it closer tomorrow...and try to get better pics too....
BUT I do not think it is a caulpera....like I said before...it's not even green...

meowzer

LOL...sorry Cranberry...IF it turns out to be Caulpera I'll gladly send it...BUT I do not think that is what this is...here are som more pics
In this pic...you can see the whole plant, and on the left there is a branch that seems to have a skelatal thing (like gorgs get when they die)...oh and you can see some polyps that were not really there yesterday
Attachment 227904
In this pic...it is just to show the polyps
Attachment 227905
And I threw in a pic of the Halmeda..lol
Attachment 227906

aquaknight

Yep, definitely time to stop referring to it as a 'plant.'
(though technically if it was 'cactus caulerpa' it wouldn't have been a plant either).
I am unsure of the healthy though. Mine is very similar (obviously) from the pics, and Henry's is loaded with polyp extension. However mine has been the same since I personally collected it from the Atlantic ocean myself. So who knows...
Off-topic, Henry, is that a Porites on the bottom right of your pick? How's it doing? I have a recovering piece myself that's surprising somehow doing well.

spanko

Yup porites rock that had a lot of christmas tree worms. Peppermint shrim ate them all. Now just a porites rock. Doing well though, nice polyps, encrusting rock around it.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3083930
Any suggestions on how to care for it???
Not too much else then good light and good flow. I occasionally feed Coral Frenzy every now and then.

Originally Posted by spanko

http:///forum/post/3083999
Yup porites rock that had a lot of christmas tree worms. Peppermint shrim ate them all. Now just a porites rock. Doing well though, nice polyps, encrusting rock around it.
Good stuff. Porites are on the 'near impossible to keep' coral list, right? Great to hear two successes.
Is there any green hue to it? Mine's got it pretty strong at the edges.

spanko

Yes I do see some green but not always for some reason. Not sure what exactly makes that green appear.