Plate corals

dedwards

I had a Long Tenacle Plate Coral that I bought about 2 weeks ago. A couple of days ago I noticed some brown grainy stuff on it. I figured it was some left over food or something that it was expelling and never thought twice. Friday I noticed the LTP not expanding like it normally does and looked rather weak, if that's possible in a coral. I turned it around and noticed that about 1/3 of it was missing on the back side. It looked like the brown grainy stuff took over and the LTP started to dissenegrate (sp). I removed it and placed it in a QT tank. My Tongue Coral which is also a LPS is showing this brown stuff. Below is a pic of it. If anyone knows how to treat this let me know.

bang guy

At first glance it looks like detritus. After further review it's looking like the slime trail of some animal like a worm or snail. I'd try using a flashlight in the middle of the night to see if you have a bad hitchhiker.
LT Plates are up there with Green Goniopora as far as success rate.

dedwards

I am planning on syphoning the brown junk tonight and changing the carbon in my filter. I have never seen any hitchhikers in the tank after dark that I haven't already identified. I have seen snails go close to the tongue coral but they get stung by the tentacles and quickly retreat so I don't really think it's the string from a slimefoot unless it blew into the coral but this is on the opposite side that the majority of water flows across it. I know that I have bristle worms but they are rarely seen. Btw...my clown has been hosting the tongue coral for about 3 weeks now.
If anyone wants to leave their email I can send full sized photos where you can get a better look...the 500x333 size doesn't show much detail

dedwards

BTW...just to let you know, those pics are of my tongue coral. The long tentacle plate has completely dissolved in my QT. It left a nice skeleton in it's place.
Bang...I think you might be right about the slime foot. I syphoned some of it off last night and it looks more like a slime foot trail that may have been blown into the coral. I saw the clown fish, who hosts the Tongue coral, nipping at another area that had what looked like a slime trail, so this is what I am looking more towards. Just in case, what is the recommended treatment for Brown Jelly?

bang guy

Carefully remove the coral and use a turkey baster to blow off the jelly in a seperate container. Then do an Iodine dip for about 10 minutes in another container. Use the turkey baster again during the 10 minute dip using the water containing Iodine.