Playbox sand???

harris28

I have used it for years in my tank. I got the play sand from Lowes and it looks nice and white. Just make sure you rinse it out really well and make sure it is silica free. And that sand is pretty fine and blows around alot too. So if you have alot of flow, be prepared. It is a cheaper way to go for substrate but honestly, I wish I went with a coarse agronite substrate. But in short, yes you can use the play sand. Good luck!!

don trinko

I have the play sand in 2 fw and 2 sw tanks. You do have to be carefull that you do not stir it up near a power head . It will bind up the impeller and you will have to take the power head apart and clean it. Same near inputs to filters and skimmers. Don T.

aquaknight

Quikcrete sand not Quikcrete concrete.

It's the base for my 125gal sandbed. Needs to be thoroughly cleaned before washing. The color is rather unappealing too. Way too yellow'ish. I used traditional sand to cover it up.

1journeyman

Southdown was also sold under the name "Yardright". It was a fine grain, aragonite based sand.
I highly suspect they realized they could make more money off of the sand selling it to the Aquarium industry. I did some calling around about 3-4 years ago now when I was looking to buy it and got connected, by mistake I believe, to the secretary of a well known aquarium brand that now sells packaged aragonite sand.

ajer

I have no experience with this, I always use Live Sand. IMO it's not worth risking hundreds of dollars of livestock just to save 50-100 bucks. Even if you get a sand that is completely inert, you have no idea where it came from and what came in contact with it.
Just spend the extra money to prevent these:

JMO.
Ajer

maelv

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/2849763
Quikcrete sand not Quikcrete concrete.

It's the base for my 125gal sandbed. Needs to be thoroughly cleaned before washing. The color is rather unappealing too. Way too yellow'ish. I used traditional sand to cover it up.
Agreed, I used it in my tank and it is UGLY....when I make the move into my own home this upcoming year (currently renting), I will be replacing it. It has been running for over a year and a half with no adverse effects, but i hate the look of it.

snakeblitz33

You can not find southdown or kolorscape play sand anywhere...
I wouldn't use anything that was not a calcium based sand. I use aragonite, which doesn't have any of the other impurities in it and is sold for the aquarium trade.
Using another type of sand is just taking a risk of excess algae and diatom growth.

bang guy

Just my opinion but I don't see anything wrong with Silica sand as long as it's pure Silica, doesn't have sharp edges, and is sugar sized.
That said, I prefer oolitic, Carbonate based sand. Again it needs to be pure, rounded grains, and sugar sized.

scout

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/2851220
Just my opinion but I don't see anything wrong with Silica sand as long as it's pure Silica, doesn't have sharp edges, and is sugar sized.
That said, I prefer oolitic, Carbonate based sand. Again it needs to be pure, rounded grains, and sugar sized.
Bang Guy,
Can you give a brand name(s) for this type of sand?
Scout

bang guy

Originally Posted by Scout
http:///forum/post/2851275
Bang Guy,
Can you give a brand name(s) for this type of sand?
Scout
I bought 2500 pounds of Southdown when it was available.
Caribsea Oolitic Premium is the same thing in a different package.