Please Help Identify

fishdoyle

Can someone please help id the small polyp-type colony on the right side of the attached photo?
Thank you

rykna

Possibly a pipe organ...it's not fully extended so it's a little bit harder to identify.

fishdoyle

It's hard for me to tell because these are pretty small. The base looks hard and the polyps soft. Each polyp has eight tiny fingers.

yosemite sam

Try poking one to see if it's hard or not. I was at first thinking it was an Alveopora, but they have 12 'fingers' on each polyp. It might be some type of leather.

fishdoyle

Definitely soft. Each one has eight distinct fingers. If it is a leather, I've never seen one like this.

hefner413

so how did they retract when you touched them? did they just ball up or did they retract into a skeleton, etc?

yosemite sam

Originally Posted by Hefner413
as eastland stated, I think they are baby gonioporas.
They look like it, but gonioporas have 24 fingers on each polyp. Alveoporas have 12. I don't know if this varies when they are younger, but I think it must be something different. Perhaps there is some relative of the two that only has 8 fingers?

hefner413

hmmm. interesting... man, Sam knows much more about these than I do :eek:) I just checked and yup, my goniopora definitely has a ton of fingers on each polyp - can't make out 24, but I trust you on that one. Either way, you'll have to keep taking pics in the future and keep up updated on their growth.

hefner413

Ahhhh, just saw that my posts was 911. Had to throw another up quick.... good, now 912. .... sorry... You were saying?