Please help--reef Filtration

ncsnake

Have been doing lots of reading and am trying to get a handle on what can and can't be used for a reef setup.
I have a 60 gallon tank that was formerly setup as FO and came with 2 Magnum 350 canister filters. If I setup for reef now are they useless?? If I can use them do I still use carbon and standard filter media?
I think I got a good understanding of the water ,bought a RO system yesterday, and how to do the sand bed but filtration is still a little confusing from what I have been reading.
Love this board and I'm trying to use the search instead of starting new topics but this one has me confused.
Thanks

bang guy

Once you have an established deep sand bed you won't really have a need for any other filtration. You will need water flow though and those canister filters can help. It would be good to keep at least on that you can use GAC (Carbon) in periodically or in case of emergency.

jrein40806

You will need water flow though and those canister filters can help>>
Couldn't powerheads just be used for the water flow?

infalable

Food for thought, I am running a cannister because I figure you cant have enough filtration. I have a dsb and lr as well.

mvogel2

what about sticking a canister filter on a sump/refugium....i'm working on a calerpa sump, i was planning on adding my emperor 400 on their for a little extra filtration...

bang guy

Mechanical filtration makes the water crystal clear. Unfortunately it also removes very beneficial plankton from the water column and it removes the foods (waste) needed to feed the sand bed infauna to keep the sand bed active and healthy.