Please help

lovethesea

:( sorry, I know how totally frustrating this is. We lost one firefish when we had our problem. I wish I could give you an answer.
Plum70rt....dosen't ick actually show up on the fish? Or does it start from the inside first? We have never had it , (knock, knock!!)

leopard_babe

Its not ich. they don't have any white spots. i have seen ich in a freshwater. the damsel just turned white. No spots

leopard_babe

this is what is so weird to me. The #1 damsel was a little discolored the other day. Today it was real white like it wasn't getting enough oxygen. Maybe that fish was just sick. I think I know what destroyed my tank tonight, and I hate my self for it. i glued a piece of live rock down early this morning. it said on the bottle that the epoxy was non toxic to fish. The guy at my lfs uses it, and so does my nieghbor. i think that is what cause the death of my tank today. so what should I do to fix my tank? take all the water out and start from scratch? Take some out and add another fish, see if the problem is gone? Thanks everyone for trying to help me. It was my on stupid fault that I killed my tank. Night!!!!

adding more fish isnt going to slove anything, but if its the glue, you could do a big water change, maybe 25% or so, that should help somewhat, other then that i dont know anything that would help get that out of the water without doing a full water change, but then you would have to cycle again.

leopard_babe

How will i know if the problem is gone if i don't add another fish? It is not showing on my levels. I will probably do a 25% water change this week. Then maybe 25 next week. So much or the fish for my b-day. I will be recycling. Thanks guys!!!!

lesleybird

Did they have any signs of disease...I read that marine velvet, which shows as smaller spots than ick can kill in a matter of a day or two where as ick takes a few weeks. Or, I guess that some type of contaminent got into the tank maybe a cleaning product from the bucket? Chlorine or chloramine. A dieing creature like an anomene (can't spell) that releases toxins into the water. Electric shock? Think like a detective..... a child putting something into the tank? Some cosmetic on your skin? Fried by a malfuncting heater? Sorry for your losses. Let us know if you find out what happened. Lesley

lesleybird

Read again...some epoxy in only non toxic when fully dry. Did you read the label to see if you followed the instructions? Good luck,
Lesley

1journeyman

Wow, that's a rough one.
If you still have one of the dead fish, (which I doubt. but worth a shot). Carefully remove the operculem (sp? the covering over the gills) and examine the gills. The fish sounded like they were struggling to breath. Could be the glue got into their gills, parasites, etc.. You might be able to see something.
Good luck
John

leopard_babe

Damsel #2 dead. that makes for an empty tank.
I inspected a dead fish (I am a nurse) nothing in the gills. Does ich look the same in a saltwater as it does in fresh. I am pretty sure that it wasn't ich. My clown had no white on it at all, neither did my other damsel. The one that dies first had similar white discoloring yesterday. i used the epoxy in the morning, and followed ALL directions. It said that it was ok for fish, and it sets in one minute. It says it is fish, invert, and reef safe. MY lfs uses it to anchor anenomies. i did not notice the fish stressing until about 5 hours later when I came home. the first damsel was discolored and hiding. then the clown was swimming funny. thinking like a detective, no one touches the tank but me. i have no chilren. I wash my hands with hot water (no soap), before cleaning the tank. I use hot water to wash all of the things that go in the tank, also no soap. the only thing that was odd the other day was the epoxy. That is the only thing that I can think of. How big of a water change can I do without re-cycling my tank. Thanks for all your help guys!!!!!

dreeves

Fish will usually lighten colors when stressed...which is what was happening in your tank...
Sounds as though you introduced a chemical in the tank...hand lotion, any spraying around the tank, your hands, etc...perfumes, etc...
Any residual soaps on your hands or arms and so on...
As mentioned above...do a water change to try and dilute whatever it was...and run carbon to absorb any chemicals which may still be in the tank...
Wouldnt think adding any additional livestock will help matters any...

lovethesea

can't imagine why epoxy that is supposed to be safe would wipe out your tank. That is very frustrating to know that we go out of our way to be safe and then something like this happens.
again, sorry for your losses :(

its that black stuff in your filters, little black beads, comes in a jug, about $5 at your lfs, you can put it in a tray and put it in your sump/filter and run it for a while, then change it.