Please, I Need Help!!

saltysyd

I asked this a week or so ago but only got 1 response. I have a 55 gallon,dsb, that used to have fish only in it but due to a spike in ammonia(I added them too soon) they all died. So after they all died, the ammonia and nitrites were both already spiked so I just left it alone and let it continue to cycle empty. Occasionally adding biozyme. It took awhile but the ammonia finally reached 0. My problem now is that the nitrites are still spiked, the ammonia has been 0 for about 2-3 weeks, and the nitrites are still spiked. The nitrates are about 20. the ph is 8, the salinity is 1.021 and the temp is 82. Is there anything else I should be doing?? It has been over 2 months since my fish died, how long does it usually take to drop the nitrites?? Also, algae is starting to grow on sand and glass. Please help, I'd like fish sometime this century, LOL. Thanx.:mad:

crabbypants

Hi there,
Well from my readings I have learned it takes an anarobic bacteria to change nitrites to nitrates. It seems you have some in your tank b/c you do have nitrates. However, you may need to be patient and let it grow and colonize in the rock more. Do you have LR in? Whatever you do try to be patient it will pay off. If you are just goofy for a fish try a couple damsels, but remember they are territorial and adding other fish may be hard later unless you can trade them back in.
Just my thoughts.
CP

bang guy

Your Nitrates may not come down. A Nitrate level of 20 will not bother fish much if at all.
Is your sand bed live? or did the ammonia spike kill most of the worms & bugs in the sand bed?
Guy

broomer5

saltysyd
One big reason we like to "cycle" the tank first - before loading it up with fish - is for the exact reason that you are now experiencing.
I'm sure losing fish is no fun - so I won't go there.
Unfortunately ..... we all make mistakes.
All of us.
In a new tank - the typical cycle allows for a very natural and logical "progression" to occur.
New tank ~~ > enter the source of ammonia.
Source of ammonia ~~ > one type of bacteria becomes predominant and begins to grow in numbers.
Bacteria populations grows ~~ > begins converting some of the ammonia to nitrites.
As the ammonia falls to zero ~~> signals the next type of bacteria to start to develop.
Next type of bacteria populatin grows ~~> begin to convert some of the nitrites to nitrates.
As the nitrites falls to zero ~~> tank is considered cycled.
Nitrate concentration levels out to some amount/number, and remain somewhat constant for a short period - then increase over time as fish load increases and nitrates are continuously the end byproduct of the nitrogen cycle ( partial cycle ).
Hopefully - the DSB over time will have areas of low oxygen, and some anaerobic bacteria populations will grow.
As they grow - they may begin the final stage of the nitrogen cycle - and convert nitrate to nitrogen gas.
Once this happens the N2 gas bubbles up out of the system - ( complete cycle ).
This can take months after setting up the DSB though.
By not allowing this natural progression to occur - at the rate it will occur for YOUR tank & conditions - it can mess up things a little bit. It's not messed up beyond hope - it just does not follow the "traditional" nitrogen cycle for a new tank.
All bets are off on trying to figure out when the cycle will finish.
The signals to the bacteria are off - meaning there are high levels of both ammonia and nitrites in the tank at the same time.
When there are high levels of ammonia - the first type of bacteria are tickled pink - they are in food heaven.
But the second type of bacteria really doesn't care so much for all this ammonia around. It's in food hell. So these guys just say" I may just sit back for awhile and wait until all this ammonia is gone before I start to eat again. I believe this can "stall" the tank cycle, and cause the tank to take a longer time to cycle - than a tank that is allowed to cycle in a slower, more natural manner.
This is my opinion - and is a wild guess.
I know bacteria don't talk to themselves - just a figure of speach.
Wait it out - it will cycle.

ntvflgirl

Your temp isn't bad. Someone told me a few days ago...probably Bang guy...that most reefs are at 85, so 82 is ok. Personally, I think maybe you are having such a high spike of chems because of the cycle along with the dead fish. I don't think you are done cycling yet. Sometimes it takes a pretty good while. And actually, it makes for a more bulletproof tank. I didn't do a water change the whole time my tank cycled. It took about 6 weeks. Some take a while longer. Your cycle is over when Ammonia AND nitrites both equal zero. Not before. It's just a waiting game. And by the way, is the algae brown looking? If it's green, then you may have too many phosphates. Are you using reverse osmosis water, or tap water? Just things to consider.

dindi

A higher temp means things happen fast, bacteria love heat...now lower your temp then do a water change of about 25 %...this will speed things up, heat always does but you don't want your new fish to have to deal with that...do it now then back off...some may not agree but I did the same thing and now all is good...

buzz

82 is not high. 82 is perfect. That is what I keep my tank at. Many keep it between 82-84. I used to stay at 78, and I find higher temps make things thrive a lot more.
I remember your post. Broomer is correct, however this is just a thought. You removed your source of ammonia when the fish died. Would it make sense to re-introduce a source of ammonia...say a raw shrimp? Wouldn't that help the cycle get back "on track" so to speak?
I would also not do any water changes while the tank is cycling.

saltysyd

:D Thanx for the advice everyone. Someone mentioned adding raw shrimp to boost the cycle. I'm a little scared to though. I mean it took along time to get the ammonia down to 0 and i don't want the cycle to start all over again, it will be even longer!! Any opinions on this???

ntvflgirl

I don't particularly see a need to do it. But Buzz is a lot more experienced than me. He may have a good reason for suggesting this. Try and wait to see what he says. I would be scared too:eek: ...then again, there is always someone who knows more than you do...right? (My mom always said this to me)