Please Identify these hitchikers...

pleasants9

What kind of plant is this?

Then what is that orange stuff circled in black. What do those hair like things belong to circled in red, sometimes they are out, sometimes they are not.
Then is that a clam on the right?

cranberry

That last pic has my little wheels turning. My first thought was hydroid, except most hydroids don't retract and I can't think of a branching one that does. Then the placement of the fronds, if you will, look peculiar. They are too perfect.... and where you would expect the "stem" to meet on the rock surface, they dive into a hole. It's hard to explain what I mean..... But with all those hitchhiker mollusks around I wouldn't be surprised if it were some sort of suspension feeder.... reminds me of a cuke but I don't think they stay permanetly in holes.... but maybe there is a variety that does.
The red thing looks like a mushroom because of the mouth looking thing in the center. What does it do when you touch it? What does it feel like? Does it retract at night?

pleasants9

All I ever see of it is those hair like apendages, they curl in sometimes and curl back out, then sometimes you cant even see them, they come out of a hole inthe live rock.

cranberry

Then I will definately go with suspension feeder. But that as specific as I can get. Maybe someone else will recognize the form.
Any chance of a different angle shot of that first one with the brown stuff?

cranberry

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2787347
Look at this, I am going with Barnacle.
Sorry, I didn't see your post. The one reason I didn't want to commit to a barnacle was because of the difference is pattern of most barnacles I've seen.... I drew a little thingy to show ya what I mean. (and thank you to whoever owns the barnacle pic I'm mauling).

Do they "flutter" in and out all the time?
Your large pic is killing me man.... I'm going to get Carpel Tunnel from side scrolling.

spanko

+1 on the large pic (hee hee). I see what you mean cranberry on the difference in pattern.

cranberry

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2787412
+1 on the large pic (hee hee). I see what you mean cranberry on the difference in pattern.
But I'm not sure the "pattern" means anything....... like the pyrgomatid barnacle is different again.... I think I have a pic here somewhere....

spanko

Renee is that last picture from one of your tanks or just one of your library pics? If it is from one of yours I sure would like to see a FTS of that one.

pleasants9

hey guys sorry about the giant photo, if i see those things out ill take another photo and make the size more convenient, and I will also get another angle of that plant. It used to have brown leaves on it too but I think someone ate them. Any idea what the orange stuff on my rocks are??

spanko

Again hard to tell from the picture but probably just some sponge. If it is it is harmless filter feeder. Can you get a better picture of it also?

pleasants9

here is another picture of the brown plant, and also does anyone know if that is a coral or polyp in the background the brown and white thing?

cranberry

Just to clarify a little, I actually didn't say they don't retract but that most don't retract and I'm talking about the branching variety only. I've just never seen it or heard about it.... but it doesn't mean it's not out there. Something just looks non-hydroidish and I can't put my finger on it and then it's behaviour leads me away from that ID as well. I love playing the hitchhiker ID game and if I know what something is I'll come right out and say it.... but like I said it has my little wheels turning because I'm not sure what it is exactly.

pleasants9

sorry cranbery if it sounded like i was criticizing you, I was just bringing up other points, I definitly have any idea what it could be. I appreciate your all's help though!

cranberry

Oh No no no! That's not my tone. I was just trying to say for your sake that I really am not sure what it is. I'm just a little peon and there could be many different experiences out there that I'm not familiar with. I didn't take what you said as a criticism but that you were taking my word for them not retracting... I just wanted to clarify that I'm not sure about ALL varieties. Sometimes how I say things come off SO wrong when I type them.
What do you think it is? Did you do some reading on hydroids and come across something that sounds like them? Please share..... the detective work is half the fun. Everytime there is a puzzle, there is something new to learn.