please post pictures of your refugium/sump

hurt

Here is an older pic of mine, but this should help you get the general idea.

zenway9

what size is the return pump? is there an intake pump also or is it siphon from the overflow box?

brolik1

Originally Posted by zenway9
what size is the return pump? is there an intake pump also or is it siphon from the overflow box?
The size of the return pump all depends on the head.And you should never put a pump on the intake, its an overflow box.
Hey hurt Im doing the same refugium as you have I saw you explaining it in a past thread and I decided to stick with yours. I bought the overflow box and the pvc piping, im just waiting my return pump to get here and to put the baffles in.

dgirard05

I Built It 3 Yr's Ago It's 48 Gal. Free Flow No Filter Material At All . Just Lr Rubbel.IT WORKS GREAT.
DAVE

brolik1

I have a small problem.The refugium I am using is only 10Gallons and the skimmer doesnt fit any where as a sump.Can I hang it on the refugium like it would be on the diplay tank? If so, Should I hang it where the chaeto and LS goes or where? Below is the layout of the reugium I am doing please help....

caz

Hurt: Has that setup been successful for you? I've been looking at doing that EXACT layout b/c my current sump (which is too small for my 75g) is causing REAL bad microbubbles. I think a layout like that would be better for me. Have you ever had any problems w/ microbubbles in yours? Also, what is the white pvc pipe on the left hand side (near return pump)? What size tank is that? Let me know man!

vito525

I'll post a pic when I get home. I have a 55 gallon main tank draining into a 20 gallon long fuge via a Hurrican Filter Quiet Flo Overflow ($39.99!!!!!!!!) My baffles are about 1.5 - 2" apart, I have about 10lbs l/r and 10lbs l/s and 3 big bunches of Cheato. No microbubbles at all.

caz

how hard is it to cut the baffles? any specific type of glue/silicon? I should use? Can it be found at Home Depot? :)

vito525

I got mine from Home Depot, it's only 3/16" and not the recommended 1/4"....I had the guys at HD rough cut mine and I Used a heavy hand cutter to cut to size, also used aquarium sealent to put them in. Let them set for at least 24 hours.

brolik1

Im not done with the refugium yet I need to install the baffles and im done.From what ive heard there has been no complains with this layout, everyone thats done it has said positive remarks about it and that is why I chose this layout.The white pvc depends on the size of the inlet and outlet of the return pump, the tank im using is a 10G under my 20G. From what i hear pvc looks neater but vinyl tubing is alot better for the return pump, and I am using vinyl tubing for the return pump. For a 10G the dimensions for the baffles are 8"x10" and 1/4" thick sheets of either acrylic or glass, im taking my tank to the glass shop and having them cut the baffels so when I get home I just silicone them in place.
For a more elaborate explanation search for making a refugium started by smoney this is where I got the help from. If you need help email me at brolik1@aol.com

zenway9

vito525,
your setup is the exact same one i want to build. does the rio 1700 pump have enough gph? do you have the meaurements for the baffles?

hurt

what size is the return pump?
I use a via aqua 3600, rated at 1100 gph at 0 feet. However I am guessing it's doing between 500-600 gph considering it has to go up 4 feet and through 2 45's and 3 90's. This is the thing most people don't realize when they by a pump. You have to figure out the "actual" gph in your system, not the gph at 0 feet. Friction and heigth will slow down your gph.

hurt

Hey hurt Im doing the same refugium as you have I saw you explaining it in a past thread and I decided to stick with yours. I bought the overflow box and the pvc piping, im just waiting my return pump to get here and to put the baffles in.
Glad to hear it. I personally don't understand why people buy a prefabricated sump or fuge. They are just too simple to make to pay that premium.

hurt

Can I hang it on the refugium like it would be on the diplay tank? If so, Should I hang it where the chaeto and LS goes or where?
Yep, that what I did with both my skimmers. I have a AquaC Remora in the first chamber on the right, then I also have a Prizm which sits on the side. It takes water from the first chamber and empties into the fuge section to help break the surface buildup.

hurt

Hurt: Has that setup been successful for you?
Very successful, since installing both my nitrates and phosphates are nil.
Have you ever had any problems w/ microbubbles in yours?
0 microbubbles. The 1st and 2nd baffle from right to left take care of the microbubbles.
Also, what is the white pvc pipe on the left hand side (near return pump)?
I am assuming you are referring to the T and the ball valve on the left. This ball valve let's me adjust the flow back into the tank without putting anymore back-pressure on the pump. The more I close the valve the more water goes to my DT, the more I open it-less water goes back to my DT. A very easy way to regulate flow through your fuge. Also helps during H2O changes.
What size tank is that?
20g fuge

caz

nice.. thanks for the info...
I made mine today... but it's a little more close to vito's... I think I may have screwed it up though b/c I made the baffles on both sides of the refugium (center) the same height... I'm thinking I should have made the one closer to the return shorter... Any advice?

brolik1

Originally Posted by caz
nice.. thanks for the info...
I made mine today... but it's a little more close to vito's... I think I may have screwed it up though b/c I made the baffles on both sides of the refugium (center) the same height... I'm thinking I should have made the one closer to the return shorter... Any advice?
If your thanking me than no problem thats why we are here,Im not sure but try it out if its working fine than leave it.if not I think but not to sure you should try taking out the last baffle before the return pump you dont want the water to drop into the return pump or it will create micro bubbles. Correct me anybody if im wrong

mythrenody

I plan on making a 20g into a refug for my 55g and wondering how you fill it? Just let it fill from the overflow? And how do you keep the water level exact? Will acrylic sealant work on glass?