please post pictures of your refugium/sump

brolik1

Originally Posted by MyThrenody
Just wondering what would be a good setup for a 55g Main tank and a 20gal sump/fuge. Pumps and OF options
All i can find are the CPR OFs
This should be good for a 20g refuge, I have the same xcept its a 10g.

charlied

$10 10g tank from walmart
$10 lights from walmart
$20 home depot plumbing / plexi baffles
$20 overflow from that auction site
not too bad for my first try. been in operation for 2 days now. need to get more LR and need to get that cheato stuff, where can i get that? anyone have some extra they want to send me? hee hee.... oh and i passed the power failure test. what do you guys think?
here are some pics....

reefman22

I am planning on doing a DIY fuge. If I do this (and build it to what most of these pics are looking like), will I need a sump also? or just a fuge with LR LS and macro algae? Also, where can I get macro algea and what kinds are best for a fuge??? Thanks!
REEF

hurt

If I do this (and build it to what most of these pics are looking like), will I need a sump also?
I am assuming you realize all a sump is a place to put your heaters, skimmers, bioballs, kalk, Ca, or phosban reactors, etc. A refuge is merely a place that is free from predation and they usually hold LS and macros for nitrate reduction. So it all depends upon how you design your fuge, sump, or fuge/sump as mine is. You don't necessarily need either. You could just have a HOB skimmer on your DT, with heaters also in your DT. So it's all up to you and what you currently have setup, and what you wish to accomplish. That being said, both will help with your water quality in different ways.

hurt

i have no idea where to get that macro algae stuff.
Starts with E and is a 4 letter word, you can buy just about anything there. Just type in macro, or chaetomorpha(depending upon which macro you want) under the home and garden tab. Macros are very cheap-$5. Hope this helps.

hurt

I heard that a certain brand of overflow boxes have a prolbem with em,which one is it so i can avoid it
From what I have heard(no personal experience)--the CPR style can lose siphon. The U-tube style when properly setup will not lose siphon.

reefman22

Hey techrider, sorry to steal your thread.
Hurt, can we move this to my thread that I started last night in the DIY forum? Dont want to intrude on techrider's thread!
REEF

caz

Alright guys... I got mine all set up minus the LR/rubble and chaeto... I'm getting bubbles from it, but should that calm down once I put some lr in my intake area and get the cheato in the fuge filled up? Let me know opinions... getting frustrated as I feel like I'm where I started. Let me know..

hurt

I'm getting bubbles from it, but should that calm down once I put some lr in my intake area and get the cheato in the fuge filled up?
Caz, can you post a picture of your current setup?

caz

I can take one... but it's basically what vito posted... dimensions should be pretty close

caz

Alright... I adjusted a few things and got my lr rubble and a little bit of chaeto in there and it's better. I think once my chaeto fills in it will do even better. The only bubbles I have now seem normal. My wife is telling me I'm too anal though.. lol (probably true) NOW I can't wait for my ro/di system to get here! :D Thanks for the help guys

hurt

Caz, if you have PVC for your drain to your sump, put 90's on the drain line right below the water level in your sump. This will help eliminate the bubbles.

joe123

I WAS CURIOUS AS TO WHAT SUPPLIES YOU NEED AND HOW THE PLUMBING WORKED. PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT JOESTEPDADDY@AOL.COM
HOW MUCH WOULD ALL THIS COST FOR JUST SUPPLIES AND DID YOU USE GLASS FOR THE DIVIDERS FOR THE COLUMNS? THANKS FOR ANY HELP ALL OF THIS IS SOMEWHAT NEW TO ME BUT I AM LEARNIG SO MUCH FROM ALL

azocean709

ive been wanting to build a refugium since i read about them...you guys got some pretty good stuff. and helped me a ton. thanks!