Please Talk me into a tank

lennon

Hey all,
I have been going back and forth with the decision to get a saltwater tank. I LOVE them so much and I know about the cost and maintenance. But for all you that are successful with your tanks....is it true that once everything is set and established...that it almost self maintains? I know of course there is still checking levels and changing water..but how often is that done?
I just don't want to start something that is not going to work out for me. I also heard the lights get extremely hot. Is this true and is there something that can be done to prevent that. I heard something about a light with a fan.
Anyway, sorry if I sound dumb about it. But I am new to this and hope to obtain a hobby that will last for years.
Thanks to anyones input..I truly appreciate it.
p.s. I am getting a 64 gallon tank which I have been told will never survive..too small they say. But that is all I have space for.

maurice

A 64 g tank is a great start for you in my opinion,as far as the water changes go,everyone does theirs a little different,i change 15-20% every other week.The question about lights getting hot,is YES,but there is ways to help that out to with fans or a chiller.You will still have to dose your tank after it cycles and is established but if you stay on top of it and make a routine it isn't that bad at all.You will love it!Good luck with the new tank also.

hot883

Lennon, welcome! You are definately starting in the direction. Asking before you start is often rare. Ha! This hobby is addicting, fun, relaxing, expensive, frustrating, cheap,suicidal etc. Ha! Just kidding. there are so many different ways to go about this. You first need to decide what type of tank you want. FO fish only, FOWLRfish only with live rock, etc. There are many more on here that are more experienced than I. You should first read the book "conscientious marine aquarium" it is full or great knowledge. Read all you can on here. You get to know ppl people and to avoid the LFS local fish store, advice. They just want your money.
Lights can get hot but you need to decide what the tank will be. Corals etc. cannot survive with cheap lights. They do make lights now than come equiped with fans. Again you will need to research MH, CP, VHO's, T-5's on what will work for you.
I will get this out of the way now; NO TANG's and NO MANDARIN dragonets. Tangs need alot of swimming room and dragonettes need a well established tank with lots of Pods ( search for those too). Any question you have can be answered here. Ask before you buy and save yourself heartache and money.
If you are interested in a thread subject, subscribe to that thread so you get all the updates and you can keep that info. HTH hope that helps. Good luck

lennon

You guys are GREAT!!!
I would like to get corals and such in the tank too. I love all the different flowing elements in the tanks I see. I LOVE the pictures here. They make me want to get one so badly.
As far as the money..I am not going to go cheap. I want to get the best of everything for the tank since these are the most important things to maintain the tank. As far as the light getting hot..I just get nervous of any kids touching it or getting burned. I am not sure if this is possible or if the light is hidden under the lid etc...I am so sorry to sound so new..but I am..lol
I don't know what you mean by " you have to dose your tank after it cycles"...like I said, I am SOOO new and probably will be alittle of a pain with all the questions..Just bare with me please.
But on the honest side...how often would I have to spend testing and all that good stuff.
I was told that it would be on a monthly basis once the tank is established. But I am begging to think that it was not so. I don't have too much free time..so I get nervous about this. BUT those freshwater fish are so boring and I don't think I would be happy doing freshwater....
For those of you who have success with the tanks...how many fish do you lose on average...hopefully not many...but I want to get an idea since I am dreading that happening since I hate to even kill a bug...lol

D

dboy999

Originally Posted by carshark
research everything.

or youll feel lke doing this

teresaq1

welcome. good luck with your 65 gal. I have a 55 gal, it is now about 6 mo old, and doing great, other then an algea outbreak. I have satellite compact lights, they dont get too hot, they are cooled by two fans. the kids can touch without getting burnt. I am setting up a 150 in about 8 mo, and will be putting mh lights on it. they will be unnder a canopy,m so no worries there. Hope you have as much fun as i am having.

sweetdawn

you asked about losing fish. if you get the right fish for the size tank you have and research the fish you put together they can live for years. do not put to many fish in a tank i have only two fish in my 30 gallon reef tank lots of inverts starfish and the like but not a lot of fish. in my ten gallon i have two fish but one is a clown goby he just sits on the rocks guarding the tank. in my 55 i have 6 fish three are damsels that are coming out if i can ever catch them was hoping the lion fish or eel would eat them

lennon

Wow, your tank is beautiful. I was just changing my mind and going with the freshwater..BUT everytime I see these pictures...I get jealous and say.." I am just going to try the saltwater".
I am so torn. Let me ask you...I am not worried about spending the money..I am going to be purchasing everything top notch since this is important..BUT just out of curiousity..how much have you spent on this tank. I heard smaller than 65 is not good..but I have seen 20 gallons "nano" tanks that look amazing..So I am not sure why they say that. I would think it all depends on the fish. Do you have a what they call reef tank or is it just fish? It really is beautiful. How much time would you say you put into it. I definitely would love to hear details about maintenance more than anything.
Thank you so much for responding. I love seeing everyones input with this.
Talk to ya soon
Nevermind..I see the coral and misc. things in there. Do you use that wet/dry system too?

racinereef

to tell you the turth about 16 years ago it ran me not inculdeing the stand or hood about 2000.00 i made my own stand and hood for aroud 500.00 out of cherry and the 2000.00 was for the 125gal tank ,pump ,lights,sump wet dry,powerheads live rock live sand pipes for the water good luck

sprang

You sound very interested and wiling to listen which is key to helping you start. This site holds priceless info. from people that have thousands of different tank set-ups and have great advice for a beginner. If you have a question always ask, this will save you a lot of heartache in the long run. A sixty-five is a good size to start I.M.O so don't worry. A c.p.r bak-pak with a crap load of live rock will make a good start for filtration I.M.O.

oceana

do it do it comon everyones doing it. just try it. it wont hurt you. all your friends are doing it. just one time wont matter right?? i have been doing it for years and i look ok. right?? you dont want to look like a wimp in front of your friends do you?? now comon try it !!!! lol

lennon

Originally Posted by oceana
do it do it comon everyones doing it. just try it. it wont hurt you. all your friends are doing it. just one time wont matter right?? i have been doing it for years and i look ok. right?? you dont want to look like a wimp in front of your friends do you?? now comon try it !!!! lol

LOL, I know. I want to. TRUST ME! Its the maintenance that I question. Since you have had yours for years..how much time (in detail please) do you invest weekly or monthly?
This is my biggest issue. I truly don't mind doing some work and I am sure it will be relaxing too..but I have 3 kiddies..6,2,1 and one due in November...Yes, we've been busy..lol So as much as I want to dedicate the time...I do not want to start something that I cannot maintain.
Also, any advise on the TOP OF THE LINE products would be great. As I said before..I want to get the best of the best since this will be the most important purchase I make for
the tank. I have 2 choices..the 65 gallon or the 54 gallon corner reef ready tank... Is that too small?
Anyone feel free to add any input to this. I TRULY appreciate all the help!!
Bella

lennon

Originally Posted by sprang
You sound very interested and wiling to listen which is key to helping you start. This site holds priceless info. from people that have thousands of different tank set-ups and have great advice for a beginner. If you have a question always ask, this will save you a lot of heartache in the long run. A sixty-five is a good size to start I.M.O so don't worry. A c.p.r bak-pak with a crap load of live rock will make a good start for filtration I.M.O.
Thanks for the advise. Is the C.P. R. the best I can get? I want to make the best purchase I could. I know the lighting is also an issue and I just realized that I have
the baseboard heat right behind the location of the tank. It is rather short but will that be an issue? Does the bottom part need to maintain a temperature? Otherwise I am not sure where I would put this tank now :notsure:
They were trying to sell me a dual light with something called a moon light also. It was over $230...is this necessary? I don't mind buying it ..just as long as it is useful..
Thanks again for all the help!

lennon

Oh and how much LR for the 54 or 65?
Can I get different kinds...Because I love the pictures you sent of your tank. It is so colorful and really looks great!

diane4

I am new to saltwater aquarium keeping for about 3 months now. I spent a lot of time reading posts on this forum BEFORE I bought a thing. It is jam packed with information and common questions and I found this forum to be more usefull and helpful than any book you can buy. :cheer:
I have found it to be expensive, addicting, frustrating, amazing, inspiring...and I have invested so much money and time, and learned so much, I am not turning back now. I refuse to quit. All in the first couple months I dealt with ich, hyposalinity treatment (just about done yaah :jumping:[list type=decimal][*]Be patient - no such thing as quick
[*]Make changes gradually
[*]Invest the money in ONLY the best equipment. AquaC skimmers, Aqua Ultra Violet UV steralizer - if you get one
[*]READ READ and then READ some more
[*]Prepare for a large cash outlay at first and then eventually things calm down. Because, once you have the tank and some inhabitants, it is going to be a must to give them what they need to keep them healthy
Maintain a sense of humor. I find the folks on this forum to have lots of humor. You have to laugh at yourself and the sometimes craziness of the hobby.
Enjoy, because the sea life animals are just beautiful and very special. I name everyone I buy, even my anemones.
Stay determined, and never give up
Pray
Then go get a beer or wine. :)
[/list type=decimal]
Welcome, now spend more time reading and go get your equipment and let us know how you do. We are here for you.
Good luck.