please tell me what this is?

mombar10

New hobbyist- I have a creature that is dark in color. comes out only at night, looks centipede-wormish like, and travels in a spider like web tube. It keeps it's tail in a rock hole then stretches thru the tube to about 6-8 in. long and is either sifting sand or boring thru my LR. It deposits the grit residue outside of it's hole. Could anyone tell me what this is?:eek::( I cant get a pic of it. It's too fast. just like a rubber band. But i did get to see that it doesnt have legs or bristles and is a dark brown or black with dull green bands around its body closely spaced. cant get a good look at its head.

W

wildmike

I think you might have a bristle worm. Do a search for one and you will get pictures.
Mike

mombar10

I've checked on bristles and have found none like the worm type creature i have. This worm travels up and down a "spider web" like tube. It uses this tube like an elevator shaft. Looks like it has some type of feelers or claw type appendages on its head. How do i take a picture of this if it only comes out at night.

bang guy

You could try the flash.
The most important feature for me would be the number of "feelers" on it's head. My guess would be five, but see if you can find out.

mombar10

:) Thank you for your help. But first its not a baby shrimp as it is at least 8 in or longer. Second I cant get a pic of it. It's like greased lightening. Ever see a rubber band stretch back, well it's that fast. I can't count the number of feelers or whatever is on it's head. But I did get to see a flash of red stripes. I THINK! Not sure but I also dont think it's a brittle worm No legs that I know of. The good news is that while I was trying to catch sight of this creature I found a mantis shrimp hiding in my LR :eek: Boy I got that little devil out in a hurry.

yosemite sam

Is it a peanut worm? They sort of look like a brown/grey rubber band and have some feelers at the head. Does it roll up into itself like a rolled up sock. If so, it is probably a peanut worm. From what I have been told they eat detritus and harmless.
Here is a pic that I stole from a post by Sammy a little bit ago (sorry :D ) The head I think is at the left. I only see them coming out of little holes in my tank, but there is one that is at least 6", so I guess they can get pretty big.

mombar10

I've been searching the net at diff. links but haven't found any thing like it. Any one know of a really good link to check out.:( I've spent so much time trying to catch this guy that I've just discovered my second mantis shrimp!:mad: