Plumbing - Peacock Mantis Build

al&burke

Ok so I am putting together two tanks. One on top of another. This will be plumbed to an existing sump system on my 65 gallon lion tank. These two tanks will be dedicated stomatopods tanks, bottom one peacock upper one ciliatas (presently sharing its home with a mean banggai cardinal). Now each tank has a 1" bulkhead with an internal overflow box. I was thinking of plumbing the drains into a common 1-1/2" drain. So basically from the 1" bulkhead I will go into an 1-1/2 tee on each tank, then connect the drain from the upper tee to the lower tee, essentially one 1-1/2 line to the sump. Maybe to complicated for what it will save but just thinking out loud.

acrylic51

Agree with Corey.....The only possible concern or possibility would be the main drain line clogging.......

al&burke

1.5 inch drain, strainers on the drains in overflows. My next question now that I have the tank in place can I drain the upper one into the overflow of the lower one. I don't have enough room to run the drain from the upper one.

2quills

1.5 inch drain, strainers on the drains in overflows.  My next question now that I have the tank in place can I drain the upper one into the overflow of the lower one.  I don't have enough room to run the drain from the upper one.
So you dont have room to plumb into the bulkhead on the back of the top tank?
Can you drill the bottom of the top tank in order to run a drain to the lower overflow and then just open up the hole in the bottom one to accept an 1.5" bulkhead?

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al&Burke http:///t/394304/plumbing-question#post_3509492
1.5 inch drain, strainers on the drains in overflows. My next question now that I have the tank in place can I drain the upper one into the overflow of the lower one. I don't have enough room to run the drain from the upper one.
Could be done, but if that were the cause the bottom tank would definitely for safety sake in my mind a larger bulkhead than the top tank.....What if the bottom tank would become partial clogged......
It's almost a guarantee that the bottom tank would overflow......

al&burke

Ok I reconfigured a shelf that was in the way the top tank will drain to the 1.5" tee from the bottom. Or I will just run another line into the sump. Some plumbing done for the bottom tank. A few pieces of live rock I am kicking around.

acrylic51

I like the 3rd pic.......Safest way probably be to run an additional line, but you said all that was going to be in the tanks are mantis......You could easily shield the drain with a strainer from AquaticEco to keep anything out of it.........

acrylic51

I like....Looks very good.....I can't wait to see pics of these mantis.....I've never really followed them, but now your peaking my interest......

florida joe

Al I thought I would share this pic with you; this is the first time I have seen any remains of Lola molt. As you know they tend to take it into their burrow and eat it