Pods going from sump to tank??

rook

I see often where people talk about having a good pod population in there sump or refugium, and the pods somehow make it up to their main tanks.
How??
I would think that the pod would either be blocked by the foam (or what every you use) from gettin into the last chamber of the refg/sump and if they did make it, they would be chopped up by the intake of the pump that sends water to the main tank!
What do you think?

bang guy

I have done some pretty intense experimentation in this area.
I don't use any mechanical filters so I don't have the foam problem you discussed.
My experiments involved an Iwaki WMD40RLT and an Iwaki MD55RLT with 9 feet of verticle head. Neither of these pumps damaged very many pods. Over 95% were uninjured. Of the injured and dead it was mostly the larger Amphipods.

krux

aye the very few that are chopped up become food for smaller critters, nothing is wasted.

fishtanker

i have my fuge positioned above the main display tank with an overflow box so there is no mechanical pump to damage the pods. here's a pic.

rook

Bang,
I have an eco 40 hang-on with a small power head (probably a rio). It would seem like the ph would be more detrimental than the iwakis you experimented with. Wouldn't you think?
I could remove the little pad which is really just to prevent calerpa from clogging the ph.
My concern is that I added a dsb to a 29 gallon tank. I want to maintain a good pod population. I currently have a sand star which I know eats these guys, and I would like to get a six line which eats pods. I considered taking back the sand star.
So I was think of culturing pods, either in the eco 40 or in a seperate 10gallon tank, and replenishing the pod population everyonce in a while.
What do you think?
They need to make a pump designed like a bellow, so that nothing, including phytoplakton, are destroyed.

bang guy

Yes, powerheads are much more destructive.
Is there any way you can use the powerhead to push water into the eco-fuge and have it gravity drain? If not I really don't think it's that big a deal. If only 80% make it vs 95% then you're still adding a lot of pods.
A 10 gallon refugium can produce a LOT of pods if it's well maintained.
There are plankton friendly pumps. They are large and expensive though.

rook

Originally posted by Bang Guy
Yes, powerheads are much more destructive.
Is there any way you can use the powerhead to push water into the eco-fuge and have it gravity drain? If not I really don't think it's that big a deal. If only 80% make it vs 95% then you're still adding a lot of pods.
Hmmmm, that is an interesting idea. Maybe I could switch the syphon and the ph around. Not sure if that would work, but it is a possiblity.
A 10 gallon refugium can produce a LOT of pods if it's well maintained.
There are plankton friendly pumps. They are large and expensive though.

Do you know any good articles, threads, books on setting up a pod/worm/critter tank? Do you think the Eco 40 would harvet enough pod, ect to maintain the population in the main tank?
Thanks,