....point of no return diary

tferrante

We have 2 pair....I have a pair of false percs in my tank, and my son has the gold striped maroons in his tank. Here's a pic of my pair...

browniebuck

Keep an eye on your son's maroons...they generally don't get along well with each other. We started our tank with a pair and within a few months, the smaller of the pair had ceased to be, took a ride on the porcelain express, was swimmin' with the fishes. I don't know why but they just don't like each other (unless you got a mated pair....very expensive and rare to find available)....just a word of caution!

tferrante

I am beginning to see that keeping these two may be a problem. They are both very small, but the larger of the two is keeping the smaller one pinned up in one corner. We have been watching. There is no physical damage on the smaller one, but it appears that the larger one is not going to play well with others. We may be pulling one out...bummer, but it will be for the better.

spanko

How small were they when you got them? They will develop their s.ex as time goes on, one becomming female the other male. The female will be the larger and will push her dominance on the male. This is normal and as long as there is no physical damage everything is okay. Also be aware the maroons get very big and will outgrow the 20 gallon.

tferrante

Both are very small right now...1-1/4" and maybe 1" on the other. the larger seems to be bullying. We decided last night to sell the bully and keep one maroon. We will get a couple of other types of fish for his tank. We will monitor his growth and health, but I have alittle time with his size.

tferrante

I thought I would give an update with my new addition. After chasing my Chromis around the tank (trying to take out 4 of them), I managed to get 2 of them out. I was making room for a nice sixline, but I didn't realize how nice. I picked up a sixline that had been in a local tank. It is the biggest sixline I have ever seen. It is over 3 inches long and fat! It took a day or two for its tankmates to make it feel welcome. My Gramma was the first of the welcoming committee, harassing it and chasing it around. Then my yellowtail damsel got in the act. But everyone has settled down after the gramma and sixline came to a comprimise on their space and it just put the yellowtail in its place. Here is a nice pic I managed to take after a few trys.

tferrante

It has been a few weeks since I have updated this thread. the tank is doing great and I have added just a few corals since my last update. The tank is now 6 months old. I can't believe how cool it looks. I am definitely hooked on this hobby.

In addition, my son's tank has been running for about 3 months and hecan't wait to get new lights so he can add some corals. We had to split the clowns up. They really weren't tankmates and were not getting along so well. So we kept one maroon clown (gold-banded we think) and added a small rusty angel. He is really cool and is doing well in the tank. in addition, I moved my yellow watchman over to his tank. He didn't care for the new sixline I put in my tank.
Here are some pics:
My Son's New Rusty Angel

Tank Shot at 6 months

Some up close shots of new corals

tferrante

Thanks....I really want to upgrade, but its kind of difficult to justify the cost at this point. I would have to buy quite a bit of equipment in addition to a larger tank. I always keep my eye open for others selling. One day......I have other things to take care of first and the 55 is fairly easy to take care of. I would just like to have more space for my fish....they are big, fat and happy.
My kid is really enjoying his tank too, but is looking to go just a bit bigger. We may go to a 26 bowfront or a 30 for him. it takes no time to do a water change and clean his tank. Your tank is as beautiful as usual....what a fine example you set for us

zeke92

i just started looking from the beginning and WOW it has changed alot. it looks awesome, and i love the mushroom rocks!

tferrante

It has been a very long time since I have posted. I felt that I need to post some pics of my tanks after 1 year. It has been a great learning experience. I was going to have a FOWLR, but that didn't last.....I will post the early tank again then my current pics....
Here ya go...early tank

After 1 year...

tferrante

Thanks....the GSP has gone crazy....originally started on a shell, went across the substrate and has begun covering that bottom rock....and I have pulled two frags off of it. I am going to have to monitor to make sure it doesn't take over!

andrew1113

is it just me...for some reason i cant see your pics on the 1 yr old post
but it could be cause im at school and thier comps suck

tferrante

I see them there, so I am not sure why you are having problems. Bummer!
While I am posting. My son has a 20G that crashed. I am not sure what went wrong, but we decided that we would try again. I bought a used 37G. He has a sweet little set-up in his room now. I saved all his corals and put them in my tank..they grew well while in my tank and now we have moved them back. We have lots of water movement (around 900 gph) and the water is doing well. I think the larger tank is easier to maintain. btw, that little bit of hair algae you see in the second picture is completely gone now...the little tang has done its job well and seems quite happy. Here are a couple pics: