POLL: Tasting the flake.

birdy

Uh oh, I don't think it is just a guy thing. Perhaps a zookeeper thing though (I worked at a zoo for 5yrs). I have tasted almost everything I feed to my animals that is vegitable or fruit based (nothing meat based, yuck!). Some of it is quite good, some of the tropical bird foods are good, and some of the monkey chow tastes like bananas! I am not the only one, most of the girls I worked with at the zoo did the same thing, especially if the animals wouldn't eat it, it usually ment it tasted like crap. I tell you who the worst ever, Veterinarians, I have worked for 5 and every single one of them have tasted things I don't even want to mention.
cprdnick- What zoo did you work at and what animals did you work with.

cprdnick

I worked at the Amarillo Zoo. Never heard of it??? No kidding. The locals call it the road kill zoo because almost everything we had was something you could see on the side of a highway, lol. Here is a list of animals we had (way shorter than the list of animals we don't have.)
American Bison-bottle raised one of the calves in my backyard.
Black Hand Spider Monkeys
Bengal Tiger
Black Leapord
Mountain Lion(s) varies with the month.
5 Wallaby's
Mule Deer
Pronghorn
Fallow Deer
White Tail deer
Aoudad Sheep
Black Bears
Texas Longhorn
Pygmy Goats
Nubian Goats
One goat that we weren't real sure about
Chickens
Sulcatta Toroises
Domestic Sheep
Mustangs
Mouflon Sheep
Double Yellow Headed Amazon Parrot
Assorted indigenous reptiles
PIGEONS, lol
Ringneck pheasant
Cukar quail/partridge
Swainsons Hawk
Bobcats
And that's it, we run strictly on donations. The spider monkeys are about as woo hoo as it gets out there as far as habitats go. There isn't even a gate admission. 17 acres and most of it is grass. It's been open since 1954 and this is as far as it's gone. It's a municipal animal park and the city of Amarillo is very cheap, I feel very sorry for the animals that have to live there.
If PETA ever got ahold of this place there would be some seriously happy animals.

reefsoe

I've done allot of rehab on various herps (Reptiles)
Dont get grossed out...
Waxworms
Flukers crickets and mealworms the dried kind....
Oh and the Tequila worm

birdy

Ha, I worked with this guy at the zoo, He ate some waxworms (nasty, look like maggots) and he ate some mealworms and a superworm(those giant ones!). and They were all alive.

dburr

Ewww.... I have only smelled them, that was enough.
When I worked on a dairy farm, I tried some roasted soybeans intended for the cattle. Taste like peanuts.
The first thing that came to mind, Mad Cow. LOL, what would possess you to eat in front of a cow? :notsure:

karajay

Originally posted by dburr
The first thing that came to mind, Mad Cow. LOL, what would possess you to eat in front of a cow? :notsure:

Well, it was about 15 years ago...and of coarse I fed the cow first! :D

bang guy

Originally posted by ReefSOE
Oh and the Tequila worm

You mean the Mescal (Agave) Worm

I feed mostly Scallops, Shrimp, Squid, & salmon. I eat it all the time :D

blk822

i just put some prime reef flake in some water to test for nitrates and I didn't taste it but it smells just just like fresh ocean fish. You would recognise the smell if you have ever cleaned a fish caught in the ocean. I think its a good smell , but I really like to fish.

blk822

And the test was that the water from the tap was at 20 ppm and the water with the food was at 30 ppn after only 10 minutes of sitting, and this is a very small sample.