Poll!!!

rlablan

I am picking up my awesome new T5 light fixture today and the guy at the specialty shop is insisting that I not have a hood at all on my 45gal. I want to put an all glass hood on because I am concerned about dust and dirt, and also fish jumping out. What do you guys have on yours??
Go topless?? OR all glass cover?!?
Thanks!

teresaq

my 150 has a canopy, but my 58 has nothing. Most dont do glass because it holds in heat. Most do egg crate. or screen if they have fish that jump.
T

meowzer

I have eggcrate on my 225g (heat issues)
I have eggcrate with a mesh netting sewn to it (LOL) on my 29g...so no one can jump
I have glass on my 54g BUT the back is off, and the front lid is always open...(going to make something soon...the tank is a corner bow, so it's an odd top)

jimmy40741

I have one of each. My 75 is topless, because I have a 216W T5 fixture on it and was having trouble with the temp. My 125 has glass tops, because I only have low watt T8s and T12s on it and temp is not an issue.
Personally, I like glass tops for the safety issue (nothing in or out that's not suppose to). So I would give the tops a try if I were you and just remove them if you have a problem.

rlablan

Thanks for the quick responses!!!! I don't know if this makes a difference but what about EVAPORATION? I live in phoenix and my house if kept at about 78-80 when Im not here, (because of A/C cost) My tank doesn't have a chiller and seems be running steadily at about 78.... but right now I have the crappy plastic hood thing that came with my tank. My biggest concern is that I will have evap and then my salinity will be too high? any more thoughts?

meowzer

Just add more top off.....When I took my lids off, and added the MH lights I had a lot more evap....I now have an auto top off system on the 225...on the 29g and the 54g...I just add it every other day

rlablan

alright well FYI I got the light (T 5 on legs, per SFW user suggestions) and I got the glass top to try and when you have them both on, THEY LOOK GREAT!
But it looks like i'm going topless...
When the light is setup, you can't open the lid at all... figures!