Polyp-looking things on glass?

T

tizzo

Oh boy, we really need to start fresh with you... First of all, "Proper water conditions" do not contain trates and phosphates. If you think they do then we need to reevaluate your tank.
The proper water conditions are for a marine tank.
I mean seriously, if you can't even get ALGAE to grow in your toxic vat, how's coral ever gonna thrive?? Poor fish. I'd give you the nope smiley here if we still had it.
:joy:

J

jdragunas

just admit your defeat, and bow down before my awesomeness, wench!!!
lmao, my hubby calls me wench, i think it's the funniest thing ever... and i call him man

[hr]
(female dog).... we have such a healthy relationship!!!

J

jdragunas

and what you posted sounded like they were telling you how to properly grow algae... i don't want to grow algae... "proper water conditions" mean what it takes to make algae grow... it didn't say "ideal water conditions".

T

tizzo

It's an old book...
I call my hubby a sissy, while he calls ma a man. (Not so sure if that's healthy...LOL)
This thread is gonna get banned to the aquarium if you do not simply accept the fact that your tank is a crap hole and you don't know what your doing!!
That's why your lawn mower blenny died and your tang is so skinny!!

hagfish

Originally Posted by Tizzo
Oh boy, we really need to start fresh with you... First of all, "Proper water conditions" do not contain trates and phosphates. If you think they do then we need to reevaluate your tank.
The proper water conditions are for a marine tank.
I mean seriously, if you can't even get ALGAE to grow in your toxic vat, how's coral ever gonna thrive?? Poor fish. I'd give you the nope smiley here if we still had it.
:joy:
I'm sorry, but your logic is backwards. Algae needs nitrates and phosphates plus light. So when you say proper water conditions for a marine tank, the two are on polar opposites. Corals don't like high nutrient levels. Algae's do. There is a little middle ground, but if you want to keep corals then you want to minimize nutrients, which will minimize algaes.
FWIW I've had a successful reef running for over a year. I've been through hair algae and I'm now to the point where corals are thriving and growing.
It's not hard to grow algae at all you know. No skimmer + no water changes + heavy feeding is a simple formula for algae growth. So what do you even mean about not being able to grow algae in relationship to corals thriving? This just doesn't make any sense.
And I do have a fuge with macro algae to get the benefits you mentioned about algae. So I have no use for hair algae. Although my blenny is happy when some shows up.

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by hagfish
There are some misleading things being said here. It almost sounds like anyone who has little or no hair algae is doing something wrong. .
Nobody said anything about hair algae!! I am referring to the algae film we scrape off of our glass woth the magfloat.
Everybody with a tank, especially reef need to have a magfloat.
'Cept JD cause her tank is in shambles!

J

jdragunas

It's an old book...
I call my hubby a sissy, while he calls ma a man. (Not so sure if that's healthy...LOL)
This thread is gonna get banned to the aquarium if you do not simply accept the fact that your tank is a crap hole and you don't know what your doing!!
That's why your lawn mower blenny died and your tang is so skinny!!
... my LMB is perfectly healthy, and i've never had a tang :notsure: you must have me confused with someone else... get your facts straight before you go flapping your trap...

T

tizzo

See!! Your tangs already dead!!
You killed it!! You shoulda asked on the boards about your water quality, we coulda saved him. I'll take your LMB for you and give him a proper home... It's OK, we all make mistakes.
Ah, well this has been fun but I am neglecting my snot nosed kids.
I gotta go, but as I do I will point out that...I'm right, your wrong poo poo head!!

J

jdragunas

what have i told you about saying stuff like that while i'm at work??? jeeze, you're going to get me fired!!!
and if you're going to be like that, you can't come to my birfday party!!! (frowny face & crossed arms...)

T

tizzo

Oh I'm comin!!! My mom said I could and your not my mom so I'll be there!!!!
(hands on hips)

jonny bolt

I have the "normal" amounts of green algae on my glass, and like someone mentioned above, I leave the side and back for the snails and my Angel.
I posted the pic and asked about these certain little things on the glass because they had a defined shape, and sweeping fingers or hairs like a yellow polyp or something. Again, they were defined and I could clearly see them. I decided to post about it cuz I had never seen something so defined growing on my glass. Except ofcourse for little 'pods scurrying around the glass lol, but those arent exactly defined, to the human eye.
I have a mesh bag with Seachem PhoGuard that I put into my filter housing behind my filter pad.....I put it in after a water change and leave it in for several days, then remove it. It gets great water flow over it, and seems to work pretty well.

J

jdragunas

hmmm... well if they have distinguished "sweepers", i'd have to say they're aptasia. Do a search on that on this forum and see if that looks like what you have. If so you should get rid of them. It's a bad anemone. They have pretty bad stings and bigger ones can really injur your fish. To get rid of them do the following: Get a turkey baster and boil some water. Use the turkey baster to suck up some of the hot water and in one quick motion, squirt some of the water on the aptasia, and then suck it up. I'm not sure if the hot water kills it or shocks it, but it causes it to let go of the glass. so you can easily suck it up and dispose of it.

J

jdragunas

Oh I'm comin!!! My mom said I could and your not my mom so I'll be there!!!!
(hands on hips)
I DON'T WANT YOU TO!!! (face down on floor kicking and screaming...)

J

jdragunas

yeah, when they're just starting out, definately. They grow quickly, though, so it's better to get rid of them asap.

J

jdragunas

ok, i looked at the pic again, and it's kinda blurry, but i do see white things. Are these white things just single strings? that's what they look like in the pic, but you said they look more like polyps. They have a few sweeping fingers, right?

J

jdragunas

does it look kinda like this? This is an aptaisa. They come in different sizes and shades, but they're kinda clear. Do you think it could be this?

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by hagfish
I'm sorry, but your logic is backwards. Algae needs nitrates and phosphates plus light. So when you say proper water conditions for a marine tank, the two are on polar opposites. Corals don't like high nutrient levels. Algae's do. There is a little middle ground, but if you want to keep corals then you want to minimize nutrients, which will minimize algaes.
FWIW I've had a successful reef running for over a year. I've been through hair algae and I'm now to the point where corals are thriving and growing.
It's not hard to grow algae at all you know. No skimmer + no water changes + heavy feeding is a simple formula for algae growth. So what do you even mean about not being able to grow algae in relationship to corals thriving? This just doesn't make any sense.
And I do have a fuge with macro algae to get the benefits you mentioned about algae. So I have no use for hair algae. Although my blenny is happy when some shows up.
Your correct and incorrect about the coral needing nutrients part. IF you read in the recent reef magazine, Xenias do quite well with some phosphates!!!! They actually do better with some then no phosphate. Each method works for different folks, my hair algae did NOT kill my corals for your information!! I keep all kinds of zoos, long tentacle plate coral, hammer coral, candy cane coral, pocillopora, pink bird's nest, blue millipora, green star polyps, blue line mushroom, RPE, brown & white pipe organ, bubble coral, pink tip frogspawn, etc etc. I might miss some stuffs I didn't type out. My tang decided to eat all the hair algae though. I was wanting to get rid of them once until I read on the web somewhere about how amphipods promote hair algae growth. I'll look it up once again and I'll try to e-mail it to some of you folks once I find that site again. Like I've said once before, if something works for one person, it doesn't mean it would work for another. Different opinions for different folks. If it works for you, so be it, no need to get snotty about it! :happyfish

jonny bolt

Originally Posted by jdragunas
ok, i looked at the pic again, and it's kinda blurry, but i do see white things. Are these white things just single strings? that's what they look like in the pic, but you said they look more like polyps. They have a few sweeping fingers, right?
The white squigly lines are just smudges left from when after I rubbed the glass with a towel.
The white specks with the green hairs coming off of them were what I was worried about. I dont think they were aptasia, only because they were so small and in there were so many of them. The pic is blurry, but if you look towards the top-right corner, you can see the white specks and the green hairs growing out of em.

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by Jonny Bolt
The white squigly lines are just smudges left from when after I rubbed the glass with a towel.
The white specks with the green hairs coming off of them were what I was worried about. I dont think they were aptasia, only because they were so small and in there were so many of them. The pic is blurry, but if you look towards the top-right corner, you can see the white specks and the green hairs growing out of em.
Those are just algae, nothing to worry about. Do you have any fish that will eat it? I have none in my tank because my tang decided he likes'em. :happyfish