Post your Photo tips here...

ruaround

Originally Posted by cjml
Thankyou! I will try again! :notsure: :happyfish
appearently it didnt work for you... post the image and I will resize it for you...
too funny Murph...

stanlalee

My advice is basic.
a) learn to use the manual settings
b) unless your an expert or taking pics with the (tank) lights out dont use the flash (which relates to point a. if you learn to use the appropriate exposure time and aperature settings you wouldn't want to use the flash. I dont even use the flash doing outside night shots if there is street lighting.)
c) use a tripod
d) practice. practice can make a cheesy camera shoot good pics and lack of practice can make a great camera take crappy pics. every tank pic I take/post there are 4 or 5 more of the exact same one at different settings. I take 30 pics to get 5 and sometimes dont like any of them.

shrmnator

not sure if it was posted above, but the best suggestion that I have found was to cut all pumps off in the tank.. things tend to open up a little more for some reason.. and less obstructions..

a2hotz

BLUR- you need more light! If there is a blur, then the lens has to stay open longer to get enough light making a smeared look. Try flash or keeping the camera extra still (tripod or having very still hands)
Out of focus/Missed shots- *for digital cameras only... hold the photo taking button but only half way( before it takes the picture), it should make the camera take the photo as soon you click the button were as normally there would be a second pause were it quickly adjusts settings... and seems to get a bad pic and for me always makes a fuzzy shot. My camera usually beeps when its ready. Dont take the picture until you can see that the subject is in focus! You will be able to tell if you did it right almost instantly.
If you have a good picture you can make it better using photo editing software. I use Adobe photoshop 7.0... The mack daddy of all editing programs. I got a copy from an old teacher/friend but I hear if you buy it, its an $800 program!

a2hotz

Originally Posted by cjml
Hello--how do make a picture small enough to be your avatar?
Thankyou! :happyfish :happyfish
Having the same problem!!! I can resize photos like its my job but I cant seem to get the file size to 10kb! I tried everything... suggestions?

boogaman

Well I hve a SONY cyber shot 8.1 mega pixels, adobe premire, adobe photoshop cs, and I have 20k lights and cannot get my camera to take brighter pics. Ive gone thru all the settings and I can make it brighter but then it doesnt get all the colors :notsure: :notsure: ...anyone have this camera, pleese tell me how to adjust it. Also is there anything adobe I can use? :help:

clown boy

Originally Posted by cubsfan
when i try to post a picture its jpg not jpeg so it wont accept it. how can i change this over?

Just rename, and change the extension.

ruaround

Originally Posted by cubsfan
when i try to post a picture its jpg not jpeg so it wont accept it. how can i change this over?

there really isnt any difference between the .jpg and .jpeg file extensions... you can rename your .jpeg to .jpg...
make sure your image is under the limits... 500 x 500... you could also try uploading to an image hosting site (i.e. photobucket) and use the IMG tag and the images URL... HTH...

f14peter

Apologies in advance for the length of this post, but I believe an explanation would add credibility.
This one is really basic, and best of all, costs nothing (And it applies to camcorders too!) . . .
When shooting with a LCD equiped digital camera, avoid the temptation to hold the camera out at arm's length and aim/shoot with the LCD. The best pictures are taken shooting as with an ol' SLR, with the camera held to your face and looking through the viewfinder. Otherwise, you're greatly increasing your chances of blurry pictures. EXAMPLE: did a job at a convention where I was to take pictures of the convention's events provided by attendees and incorporate them into a PowerPoint for the final ceremony. I was given card after card where 75% of the pictures were unusable, simply because they were shot arms-extended and were too blurry.
It's a simple matter of physics and geometry . . . with your arms extended, it's so much harder to hold the camera still as you punch the button (excaberated by the delay some cameras have between button-push and the pic being recorded). By having your arms out in front of you with your elbows at an extreme angle (nearly 180 degrees or flat), you've lost almost all your leverage and ability to brace the camera, and any movement, no matter how slight (such as your finger pushing the button), is hugely amplified. Also, much easier on your arm muscles . . . how tired are you after videotaping Junior's soccer game holding your camcorder 2 or more feet out in front of your face for a couple of hours?
By holding the camera to your face, your arms are doubled up with your elbow angle nearly 0 degrees, greatly increasing stability, which can be enhanced by tucking your upper arms against your body. Also, either holding the camera physically in contact with your face, or placing the thumb of the hand holding the camera against your face, makes for rock-solid shooting.
Granted, you may have to compensate a teeny bit because the typical viewfinder is offset from the lens, but hardly an issue as digital pictures can be so large and then cropped.
You can compromise by holding the camera just a few inches in front of your face . . . not nearly as good, but much better and arms extended. Best of all is to follow all the tri-pod suggestions, after all it's how the pros do it.
There's also some techniques in how you actually hold the camera in your hands, but not as applicable to the smaller digi-cams these days.
Agree with those saying don't get caught up in the bigger-is-better game with regard to pixel-counts. Unless you're shooting professionally and/or need large blowups, middle of the road (4-5Mps) will yield fabulous shots. I even read an article theorizing that camera pixel-counts are getting close to exceeding what the human eye can detect.
Lastly, there's an expression in the biz, "It's all about the glass, Baby!" Which means lens quality
matters. EXAMPLE: My 4MP Minolta has a typical consumer lens and shoots pretty good pictures. My Panasonic camcorder has a 4MP still camera built into it and provides noticably better pictures, all because of its superior Leica lens.

zman1

All great advice.
Thought I would add a little.
If your focal length is constant; The f/ stop effects depth of field. The smaller the number the softer the background will be from the subject. If your camera has an ISO equivalent setting, try setting it higher to catch fish that just won't sit still. The higher the ISO the grainier the picture can get, but it allows for faster shutter speeds or smaller apertures (higher f/xx - greater depth of field) in lower light. If you don't have an ISO equiv. look for an EV setting (exposure compensation).

I

innerdragon103

i have a question regarding attaching photos in a thread.
typically i just use the 'manage attachments' option and attach images, but i have noticed that some ppl actually have the photo embedded within the message, in the middle of text, know what i mean? how do you do that?
alot of the time i want to say something, follow with the picture, then say some more, but i cant b/c the 'manage attachments' option just sticks the photos in at the end of the post...

zman1

The photos in that case are embedded through a link to another URL. See the picture icon on the menu bar, the mountain and sun. The link goes between image tags

Example URL
http://bzproserv.com/reef/WebDIY/images/a.jpg
Now put this in image tags

Now you can put text above and below when images are remotely linked

05xrunner

best way to take pics in an aquarium is a few tips.
first tip get a few feet away from the tank. this will help cut down any any distortion from the glass if not shooting straight on.
Next try not to use a flash. it will just bounce off the glass and look like a big nasty spot.
Use a tripod
If need be bump up the ISO and lower the fstop to give you a little faster shutter speed.
Those are all you really gotta follow to get nice pics.
here are a few examples

m0nk

For photo editing software everyone mentions MS Paint, I've seen the occasional mention of Photoshop, but no one mentions the most powerful free photo editing software out there. I'm talking about the open source product called Gimp (Gnu Image Manipulation Program). It's free and platform independent; that means it runs on Mac OSX, Windows, Linux, Unix, etc. I use Linux and it comes free with the OS, and likewise with Mac, but for Windows users you can download it free. Just do a google search for gimp photo and you'll find it in the first result returned. Again, this program is super powerful, easy to use, and best of all it's free. Hope this helps!
Oh, and my favorite picture taking tip, get a tripod! A $10 tripod can go a long way to alleviating frustration with blurry pics.

volitan_fa

Also if you're using Windows, a good free alternative to expensive (Adobe) products is Paint.NET. It does EVERYTHING that Photoshop does (as far as I can tell) and is free. Just search for it ;)
Do you guys fool around with the white balance on your camera ever? Just curious.

sinaloa213

well on a different note....i want to know how to take pics of my fish looking still .....every time i take one the fish is like a blue streak or yellow streak...i have a Nikon Coolpix S5....Any one got tips??? :notsure: :notsure: