powder black tang? what is it?

jonny

ok so the gold rim, powder brown, white cheek, white face, and powder black all look very similar maybe even the same for some of those names. what is a powder black though. my lfs has one for $30. compared to the brown and blue that they have thats pretty cheap. so can anyone tell me about them?
if anyone one has one and has pics that would be awesome.
thanx

jonny

i don't have a pic its basically gray or at least thats what they have at the lfs.
anyone??

dogstar

Do a google images search of " acanthurus "
Maybe you Powder Black tang is the Acanthurus achilles...IDK either, never heard the term..

blooper74

It sounds like an Achelies tang, if your LFS has one for $30 and you have ample space for it GET IT. That is an out of this world price.

jonny

its not an achilles i can tell you that. i have had one before and researched those a lot. it looks more gold rim then achilles if it was a hawiian type like that. i just set up a 3rd qt yesturday so i'm going to get that up and going and if its still here this weekend i will jump on it for that price. we will raise him and see what he turns out to be. hes already 4in so hes getting pretty big for an achilles. also no orange spot.

ophiura

Yeah but it looks nothing at all like the "powders"
Strange.
Well all I know is that I was going to put in a "ask Dogstar" comment and I see that aspect has been covered

seattle

Powder Black Tang Is a rare name for a Black Tang,my lfs used the same words GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If it is a Black Tang.Those worth $300-500!

jonny

Originally Posted by Seattle
Powder Black Tang Is a rare name for a Black Tang,my lfs used the same words GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If it is a Black Tang.Those worth $300-500!
i'm familiar with the black tang that looks like a yellow just black but this looks like the powders so are you talking about the same one. cause they have the black tang there (well whats labeled) looks like your purple and yellow tang with small sails and such and a white spot for the scalpol. the powder black is as well different so which are you talking about.

jonny

anyone got any suggestions on what it could be. i think its indo pacific or at least thats what they were told at the lfs from the distributer. so any ideas??
thanx

stanlalee

Powder Black Tang Is a rare name for a Black Tang
its rare because they are making it up (perhaps trying to relate it to nicer looking and less seen in LFS powders helps sell more than rightfully relating it to more common but still better looking yellow and purple tangs). all powder tangs (true ones and those mistakenly called powders) are Acanthurus, the one you are refering to is a Zebrasoma [rostratum] and is simply referred to as a black tang or black longnose tang

and your right they go for about $300-500 and if thats what they have should jump on it and get it at 90% off retail price. they obviously dont know what they have if thats it for that price (although they should, I'm sure they paid for it).
and the even rarer gem tang Zebrasoma gemmatum which go for $1500+

stanlalee

Originally Posted by jonny
i'm familiar with the black tang that looks like a yellow just black but this looks like the powders so are you talking about the same one. cause they have the black tang there (well whats labeled) looks like your purple and yellow tang with small sails and such and a white spot for the scalpol. the powder black is as well different so which are you talking about.

does it have any more distiquishing features other than being black and shaped like an acanthurus tang? Must have a patch of color other than black somewhere
Could they be juvi's that havent colored up yet. I have a tang book (but its at work and I'm at home) that has a pic of a black juvi but even they are unable to positively I.D. it yet because of its age.

jonny

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
its rare because they are making it up (perhaps trying to relate it to nicer looking and less seen in LFS powders helps sell more than rightfully relating it to more common but still better looking yellow and purple tangs). all powder tangs (true ones and those mistakenly called powders) are Acanthurus, the one you are refering to is a Zebrasoma [rostratum] and is simply referred to as a black tang or black longnose tang

and your right they go for about $300-500 and if thats what they have should jump on it and get it at 90% off retail price. they obviously dont know what they have if thats it for that price (although they should, I'm sure they paid for it).
and the even rarer gem tang Zebrasoma gemmatum which go for $1500+

like i said in a previous post its not the black tang. i know what that is and its not that. ok its looks like a gold rim almost. has blue line around the top and bottom fin. the tail is a mixture of yellow and blue. it also has a orange spot in the back portion of the top fin. the body is a blackish gray. it also has a white mouth. not cheek or under the eye but around the mouth is white. i will prolly purchase just so you guys can see what i'm talking about. and before any jumps on me i do have a 210g and a 75 qt waiting to be filled so don't you worry it will be well taken care of. hopefully a little hardier then a blue or brown powder.
thanx

jonny

Its probley a hybrid,A Tang Mutt, I guess.

my guess would be a gold rim and something else. it does not have a long nose or any sails.
thanx

dogstar

These types of threads sometimes get amuseing with the different sugestions that often pop up without a perfect discription or a good photo.
So, heres another one ...
Very possible that its a hybrid....but between what two fish ? that is known to happen.
This first photo is a hybrid of the Goldrim, sometimes called a Powder Brown, Whitecheek ( A. nigricans ) and the Achilles, sometimes called an Achilles, haha. The markings on this hybrid do vary slightly, mostly in the tail colors...This hybrid is mainly found in Hawaii.
The last two photos are of the pure breeds...
This hybrid is rarely found in the trade but when is, goes for $ 200 or so...
Jonny, Im not saying this is the fish in your LFS, you seem informed about tangs so your call. Hopefully other members may enjoy the info.
You may know that both of these species are very difficult to keep in an aquarium and if you try it, all I can say is GOOD LUCK....

jonny

its really close to that first picture that you posted there of the hybrid. its just weird cause the body color is really more gray than a deep blue. i will try to go tonight and pick it up. i kept an achilles before and he did really well. however when my heater broke he did not like it. will let you guys know.
thanx