power compact light

trigger702

Are there any anenomes that will do good in power compact lighting? I have a maroon clown with a powder brown tang. I will be getting a lion fish, angel fish a couple more tangs and a blue jaw trigger all in a 210 gallon tank any suggestions?

L

lsu

PC's are ok for some corals but for anemones you really need t-5's or halides.

michaeltx

Originally Posted by LSU
http:///forum/post/2572380
PC's are ok for some corals but for anemones you really need t-5's or halides.
I ahve to agree there are a few that do OK under PC but its not recomended because they really reli on the light for food.
Mike

Yeah, a nem could live under a strong PC, but MH is that much better then PC for nem's, it reaches the depth of your tank that PC just can't, 2x 24W for a 20 long if MH is fine...but can't go wrong getting more =] gl.

krautburner

Originally Posted by ChronicCoral35
http:///forum/post/2580556
Yeah, a nem could live under a strong PC, but MH is that much better then PC for nem's, it reaches the depth of your tank that PC just can't, 2x 24W for a 20 long if MH is fine...but can't go wrong getting more =] gl.
I'm curious too about this,
my tank is a "Custom" 38ish gal
with 2 24" 55w PC 50/50's
I am intending on upgrading my tank (and lighting (I think they are 48" T-6 2 daylight, 2 blue, 90 or 110w each))
if I get an anenome now, will he be ok for a month (under the PC's) while I setup the new tank?

lexluethar

Burner - I believe the T just represents the amount of bulbs. So T5 and T6 are the same type of lighting, just that the T5 have 5 bulbs and T6 has 6.
Trigger - As for the PC's NO MATTER HOW MUCH POWER OR BULBS OR LIGHT YOU HAVE IT WILL NOT BE ENOUGH. A poster above stated you can have an anemone under strong PC lighting, this is absolutely false. Do not even attempt it unless you want a dead animal within a half years time (they take a while to eventually die).
Do yourself and your animals a favor, purchase either a very good T5 setup (even then if you have a deep tank the light won't penetrate deep enough) or a MH setup. DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON THIS.
Another issue is you have a very large tank. If your tank depth is more than 20 inches then a good T5 setup won't even be enough IMO unless you place the anemone at the top of the tank. With your large tank there is no possible way you could sustain an anemone with PC lighting (or any tank size for that matter), yes you could get it to survive for a year or so by spot feeding it, but the entire time it will be very unhealthy and will eventually die b/c of inadequate lighting.
Burner - As for getting the anemone now, just wait. No reason to stress an animal and possibly kill it because you can't wait a month for your new lights.

morval

acctually the letters and numbers on fluorescent lighting have nuthing to do with the # of bulbs.
Lamps are typically identified by a code such as F##T##, where F is for fluorescent, the first number indicates the power in watts (or where lamps can be operated at different power levels, the length in inches), the T indicates that the shape of the bulb is tubular, and the last number is the diameter in eighths of an inch (sometimes in millimeters, rounded to the nearest millimeter). Typical diameters are T12 or T38 (11/2" Ø or 38.1 mm Ø) for residential bulbs with old magnetic ballasts, T8 or T26 (1" Ø or 25.4 mm Ø) for commercial energy-saving lamps with electronic ballasts, and T5 or T16 (5/8" Ø or 15.875 mm Ø) for very small lamps which may even operate from a battery powered device.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by morval
http:///forum/post/2581172
acctually the letters and numbers on fluorescent lighting have nuthing to do with the # of bulbs.
Lamps are typically identified by a code such as F##T##, where F is for fluorescent, the first number indicates the power in watts (or where lamps can be operated at different power levels, the length in inches), the T indicates that the shape of the bulb is tubular, and the last number is the diameter in eighths of an inch (sometimes in millimeters, rounded to the nearest millimeter). Typical diameters are T12 or T38 (11/2" Ø or 38.1 mm Ø) for residential bulbs with old magnetic ballasts, T8 or T26 (1" Ø or 25.4 mm Ø) for commercial energy-saving lamps with electronic ballasts, and T5 or T16 (5/8" Ø or 15.875 mm Ø) for very small lamps which may even operate from a battery powered device.

With refrence to T-5. There is no difference in them from std flourescent, PC, or any other T bulb. Where the difference lies is HO placed before it. This represents High Output, now what has happened is the bulb produces more lumens per watt making it more intense. However, this alone although more intense than std or NO (Normal Output) flourescent lighting isnt as efficient as it should be. Another advantage to using T5 sized lamps when making them HO is that because they are so small in diameter they are capable of having individual reflectors placed over them. Now their intensity is far superior to any NO flourescent light.
I do agree that some species of anemone maybe ok under PC lighting to the OP. I dont believe your application would suit this scenario. If your going to attempt an anemone under PC's your tank depth should be IMO No more than 16" deep, and 12" would be ideal. JMO

heatheryjoy

I had my bta under 4x65 watts pc lights for a few months before I got my metal halides. We had him placed at the top of the rockwork within 6 inches of the lights. He did o.k. but he looks so much healthier under the metal halides! His color is better. So while it worked for a short time I'm glad we got better lighting for him. He seems much happier now.

dawman

I`ve had my LTA , GBTA , and two RBTA under pc for years and they are still healthy . Lighting for an anemone has factors , like the species , tank depth , and surroundings . Many have kept healthy anemones in "poor lighting" as what the general OPINION here is .

dawman

Trigger ,
Lions and triggers will eat anemones . So you will need to decide which you want more .

slpcamaro

I have a 180 gallon 6ft long 2fthigh and 2ft wide looking at t-5s what do you suggest is one 48" enough or do I need 2 36"

perfectdark

Originally Posted by slpcamaro
http:///forum/post/2581549
I have a 180 gallon 6ft long 2fthigh and 2ft wide looking at t-5s what do you suggest is one 48" enough or do I need 2 36"
I would suggest at least a 6 bulb fixture the entire length of your tank. JMO.

slpcamaro

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
http:///forum/post/2581559
I would suggest at least a 6 bulb fixture the entire length of your tank. JMO.
I've only seen the 2 bulbs 36" long so that would total 4 lights you saying i should get the 2 bulb and a single or is there a 3 bulb fixture?

perfectdark

Originally Posted by slpcamaro
http:///forum/post/2583105
I've only seen the 2 bulbs 36" long so that would total 4 lights you saying i should get the 2 bulb and a single or is there a 3 bulb fixture?
Nope, I would get a 6 bulb 72" fixture. Nova Pro has them as well as others. Im not familiar with the bulb layout under fixtures that long but if they are 2 36' bulbs to make 72" then IMO I say 12, 36" bulbs.

Lex is right about the MH over PC on nem's, but I did have my nem under a PC for about a month 1/2, but now it's very healthy and happy under my MH set-up.