power heads and placement

tsdid

I have a 180 gallon tank, and I want to set up enough flow for coral and to eliminate deadspots. Right now I have the two returns from my return pump but there not supplying to much flow. I have a magnum k6 at 2200 shooting accross the aquarium but I feel I need more maybe something on the other side. I also have a low flow spot on the side with the k6 in the back corner, its got a decent amount of diatom algae on it where as the rest of the tank looks pretty good. Any suggestions for placement? I currently am figuring I have 16x turnover, how high should I go?

meowzer

You need a lot more ...IMO....you say have NO powerheads? For example of what you may be looking at...I have 2 canister filters that operate flow bars on each end of my 225G
I have a sump/fuge with a mag18 return, and then I have 5 Koralias....all spread around so I should have movement just about everywhere

tsdid

Well I have the 1 magnum k6 that is pushing 2200gph, where do you have all your powerheads placed? I have a mag 18 return as well.

tsdid

those are pretty small, do you prefer many small vs a couple of big. big and small meaning flow.

meowzer

Originally Posted by tsdid
http:///forum/post/3199048
those are pretty small, do you prefer many small vs a couple of big. big and small meaning flow.
YES...I would rather have smaller cause you get good flow and no sand storms

tsdid

does anybody else have power head philosophys? I want to make sure I make the right decision before I purchase the additional powerheads.

B

brue102

I'm new at this But i have to agree with Meowzer I first had the larger Koralia's but they kept my tank all cloudy so i bought smaller ones and now Ive good flow and no sand storm...just my 2 cents.

B

brue102

I have a 80 gal. DT with a 29 gal. refugium. I have the return pointed to opposite corner of tank. The other side has a canister filter return pointed in the opposite corner. Two power head pointed to the surface. Then two more power heads pointed in different areas of tank so I have no dead areas. Nothing to strong but good water movement.

meowzer

I have a K2..in the right back blowing across the back
a K1 left front..blowing across front
Rio 600 left top..with the flow pointing up
I also have the aquatech HOB filter (the dual one) that does a decent job of some top flow
I would draw it, but I am paint illiterate LOL

fishyfun2

Thanks, I thiink I understand what you've got going. Hey, do you still have that little bear conch in your 29?

meowzer

Originally Posted by FishyFun2
http:///forum/post/3200010
Thanks, I thiink I understand what you've got going. Hey, do you still have that little bear conch in your 29?
LOL....Some crab decided it liked its shell and ate it....but I still have a couple in the 225G