Power to be turned off...what to do?

krazykarel

Our city's DWP informed us that they will be turning off all power next Monday b/t 9am to 4pm. I have a 50g reef tank. With that amount of time I think it probably will hurt my system. Am I right? If so, what do you recommend?

reefkprz

battery powered air pumps and wrap the tank in blankets to maintain temp. possibly get a power inverter to run a heater.

asharp13

you could rent a generator from home depot or something. my power company jus cut off my power cuz we didnt pay our bill. i had to run 100' extension cords to a neighbors house for a couple days. very frusturating!!!!! i would look into a power generator. you can rent em and they are gas powered.

snakeblitz33

I wouldn't think that just a few hours would be that bad. If it really concerns you, you could probably get away with stirring it every couple of hours with a wooden spoon... I wouldn't spend so much money on a generator unless you were having a power outage for a long time.

calbert0

hope you dont live in an apartment that isnt ground level/doesnt have a porch if your planning on getting that gas powered generator...
if youre lucky enough to have somewhere to put it than its not a bad investment...
you just really have to look at how often you have power outtages, weigh the cost and benefits and then make the choice..
before i moved i used to have 3-4 power outtages a year atleast. No generator
now that im in a city, i dont plan on having nearly as many so still no generator.

matth2181

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///forum/post/3146715
I wouldn't think that just a few hours would be that bad. If it really concerns you, you could probably get away with stirring it every couple of hours with a wooden spoon... I wouldn't spend so much money on a generator unless you were having a power outage for a long time.
+1, i would just manually push the water around for a few hours and save ur money, especially if ur house will be relatively warm... if u live in an ice box, then maybe get it to run the heater and other stuff, but temp and circulation are your problems in that small amount of time, and if temp wont change too much you just manually push water around...

cranberry

Generators are cheap to rent and well worth the investment. The weather has been very unpredictable around here. Those Santa Ana winds... and if there is a fire it totally heats up the surrounding areas. I'm not sure where in So Cal you live, but buying a geneator is a good idea for both you and your tank.... cause ya never know. Did you hear about the 8.0 yesterday?
How stocked is your tank?

A

abeandlulu

We invested in a generator just for the crazy things that can happen. We live in a fairly new neighborhood and they are always disconnecting power to upgrade. Atleast your power company let you know in advance.

meowzer

I'm a little confused.....first of all this is a planned outage....so you have notice...in Cali....temp should not be an issue.....you are talking what 7 hours?????
IMO you can get a small inverter for under $20 ..plug it into your car cig lighter...and run a powerhead....
I AGREE though that a generator is a must investment....BUT for this instance........

cranberry

Sometimes it doesn't come back on as scheduled.... at least around here.
But I'm recommending they go out and get one for the sake of where he lives. If you feel the earth moving under your feet you should have a generator.... now is as good as a time as any.

meowzer

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3146969
Sometimes it doesn't come back on as scheduled.... at least around here.
But I'm recommending they go out and get one for the sake of where he lives. If you feel the earth moving under your feet you should have a generator.... now is as good as a time as any.
I agree 100% that a generator is a MUST, I was just thinking this Monday

Of course I know nothing about CA....LOL...except the ground is known to move....but if that happens....will a generator really make a difference?????

cranberry

If you have to live without utilities for a few days it can make a huge difference. I'm thinking of this Monday too... and Sun, and Sat ... and tomorrow. After the last one I'm a little more conscious of the risks of living where I do. I'll be one of the ones eating BBQ meats right from the freezer plugged into my generator, while the neighbours have to resort to their canned goods :).... and warm beer...

meowzer

LOL...I have a generator....we had an ice storm in 2000 (before I had sw fish) and I would never live w/o one.....
8 days with no electric, water, heat...and 4 kids in the house....