Powerhead size

Is it better to get a larger powerhead than what its rated for? I need one for a 30, 46, and a 55 Gal. what size should I get? and how many for each? Is Rio any good?
thanks for any suggestions.

sign guy

I am a big fan of maxie jet power heads
what will be in the tank and how do you want to use the ph's?

the 30gal is a salt with no LR or LS, bio-wheel filter. The 46 has a 10 gal sump and possible LR and LS, not sure about corals. and the 45 gal is a freshwater cichlid tank. I need some better circulation.

sign guy

Originally Posted by The J.O.P.
not to hijack but i need one for a 10 gal SPS tank. how big is to big?
somthing around 100 gph imo

sign guy

Originally Posted by Purple Lobster
the 30gal is a salt with no LR or LS, bio-wheel filter. The 46 has a 10 gal sump and possible LR and LS, not sure about corals. and the 45 gal is a freshwater cichlid tank. I need some better circulation.
woe what is going in the 30 gal?
a maxi 600 in the fw
a maxi 900 in the46

fanker

Originally Posted by sign guy
somthing around 100 gph imo
thats only 10x revolution sps like 50x or more

I am not sure what that means, I was going to get some 300gph for all tanks, is that way too much? How many gph per gallon and how many?

fanker

well it means how much circulation there is, like if u get a 100gph pump in a 10g tank that thats only 10x turn over 100 divided by 10 = 10x imo for a sps tank i would get 2xsieo m620s check out marine depot

1knight164

Sorry for butting in, but for a 55 gal, I would need 2750 gph in pumps? :notsure: That seems like a lot. But i'm a newbie and will eventually get SPS. So if 50X is what it takes, then i'll need more powerheads!

lazypinoy

have you seen the seio series power heads? there pretty good for the 46 and 55 gallon tanks u have. i think the lowest output they have is the 620gph and runs on 8 watts. i have 2 820's(18watts each) in my 125 and both use less wattage then 2 maxijets 1200's. and for ur 30'gallon i guess a regualr maxijet 1200 would do.
oh yeah the seios work better when there in like the i dont kno how to say it but the hair dryer form. lol
so for the 46 maybe 2 seio 620's?
and the 55 2 620's?
and the 30 gallon a maxijet 1200.
well theres my opinion.

fanker

Originally Posted by Purple Lobster
Just to confirm, that would be 600gps for a 30gal. Could it be too much to stress the fish?
no cause its not direct flow its indirect so its not blowing right at the fish like sieo and tunez are indirect cause it blows out all ways unlike maxies which blow a line

swabearf16

I hope I got this right. For a 150 gal tank, y'all recommend approx 3800 gph flow. Seems to me that would blow 20 lb. chunks of LR right out of the tank. Never seen that in action so I don't know.
KPK, thanks again for the MJ Mod link. Just seems like it would be the equivalent of putting an outboard motor in the tank.

1knight164

Originally Posted by SWABearF16
Just seems like it would be the equivalent of putting an outboard motor in the tank.
:hilarious :hilarious :hilarious LOL