powerheads for a 75 gallon

B

batigol

How many gph will I need for my 4 foot long, 75 gallon tank? And is it best to have 2 lower gph powerheads at each end or just 1, or does it matter?
I also have a seaclone skimmer, though I know they're not the best. When would I need to start using that? I just put my sand and water in yesterday, and I'm getting the live rock sometime today.
Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks!

bang guy

Have you planned out your inhabitants yet? That could make a difference as far as turnover requirements. Most people I know recommend 10X to 20X turnover but it depends a lot of the livestock.
I'd suggest starting the skimmer up as soon as the rock hits the water :)
Good luck!!!!!!! :cool:
Guy

jlem

I good idea would be 3 maxijet 1200 or 900( uses half the power of a 1200 and you only loose 65 gph). I would put 1 in each corner and point them at a downward angle across the tank. Then i would put one in a back corner also and run a pvc pipe down to the bottum of the tank and across the back with holes drilled along the back lenth to move water slowly throughout the rocks at a low pressure to prevent any dead spots. The pvc would be pretty small so it won't be to noticable oncw the back and pipe get covered with corraline. Have you done any mods to the seaclone. It can be a good little skimmer once it has been modded.

B

batigol

Thanks for the replies. I have a regal tang (currently boarded at a lfs), and I eventually would like to have a couple of clowns, a lionfish, and maybe 1 or 2 other small fish.
I have about 3 inches of sand along the bottom, would you still recommend using the pipe, or would it be okay just to have some snails, crabs, or other little cleaners scurrying around on the bottom?
As for the skimmer, I haven't changed it at all, what do you recommend?
thanks again

slick

I have 3 maxi jet 1200's in my 90g plus my return pump from my sump. I have never heard anyone say 20x turnover rate but who knows. I believe most people would say 8x - 10x turnover is good. I could be wrong but this is my opinion.

bang guy

For the inhabitants listed I totally agree with the 8 - 10X turnover rate.
I only mentioned the 20X turnover on the chance the tank was going to be SPS dominated.