powerheads for current?

jbeck

My 75 gallon is going to have some current from the return from the wetdry, cap220 pump i believe.
But I understand i should have more circulatrion across my lr/ls. should i get 2 powerheads? What gph do i need? I saw some that automatically rotate too, are those any good? What brand is recommended?
thanks!

marinemarty

Hi, I just ordered 3 maxi-jet 1200 and a power sweep 228 for my 75. i have a spray bar from my return and an aquaclear 900 model.
Martin

jjboods

Jbeck,
Nice to hear about the LS/LR. I have 3 and my return. All Maxijets. Seem to be the best GPH for the $$. Mine are at the top corners pointing at each other...the long way. This idealy SHOULD create currents.

stay away from the powersweeps! they are high maitnence garbage. after about a week they will clog up. then you have to clean them every day to keep them operating (almost) normal (almost). i seem to like the maxi jets. low cost. never had one fail on me yet. quiet. and best of all, LOW LOW LOW maintnence.

ironreef

IME I like maixjets for cheapo powerheads but I'm lazy and don't clean them often. They really only last me a year or a little more. Maybe to much calcium. If you have the cash you can get an electronic Tunze that goes from 130-1000gph at your setting . You can get the New one that goes from 900gph-3000gph but theres a big waiting list. But you will be fine with maxijets. I would strive for at leat 12x turn over including you return from sump powerheads ect.... Power sweeps have failed me also

singlemalt

I've had 3 Aquaclears (2 402's, 1 802)running in my 55 gal non stop for a year now. I've cleaned them twice so far but it's a simple job. They are still going strong! I highly reccomend them.

ddt

I have 4 Maxi-jet 1200's and a Red Sea Wave maker. It works great as you can hit one button and it will turn the pumps off for 10 minutes of feeding. It also has a setting for nightime, but I haven't noticed much difference between "day' & "night ."
Look around and you may find package deals.