Praying for Haiti

meowzer

I may have missed it (imagine that) LOL
BUT has anyone posted anything about the devastation in Haiti? I have been watching a little news now that I am home, and it is awful
I saw some pics on the web today, and they actually showed dead children buried in rubble :(
We will be doing a collection at the church I work for this week, and A LOT of praying for these poor people
IDK how familiar any of you are with the Methodist Church, but if you donate through umcor.org.....100% goes to the cause.....

nissan577

It is a sad thing that happened to such a poor place...
idk if you notice on the news but there was a guy on the news who was talking about it and was smiling
that just shows you some americans dont care. IMO everyone should care. just cause we may not have family members with them its still a HUGE tragedy they have to go through. May God Bless them and their families.

browniebuck

One of the Indianapolis Colts players, Pierre Garcon (who graduated from Mount Union College in my hometown...D-III kid that made it big) has nearly all of his family still in Haiti. He hasn't be able to get into contact with them as of yet...to be this far from your loved ones and be unable to do anything to immediately help and/or find out if they are OK has to be unbearable.
My school will most likely be doing something in the near future as well. We collected over $1500 to send to Hurricane Katrina relief efforts...for a school of roughly 450 students that come from a wide variety of socio-economic backgrounds...I was pretty impressed with their caring and willingness to help people that they don't know...one of my third graders that year brought in her piggy bank that had $25 in it and said that she wanted to help...this was in my first few weeks of teaching in a new district...warmed my heart to see children like this.
On a related note...wasn't it within the last week or so that California had their 6.5 earthquake? Coincidence or could this be related somehow???

aquaknight

Originally Posted by browniebuck
http:///forum/post/3208712
On a related note...wasn't it within the last week or so that California had their 6.5 earthquake? Coincidence or could this be related somehow???
Probably related, though I wouldn't necessarily link it to anything major. California is on the North American/Pacific plate border, and Haiti is on the North American/Caribbean plate border. If the NA plate shifts one way, all the sides are likely affected somehow....

saltwaterfish.com

Administrator
Staff member
It you ever received a hermit crab, starfish, royal gramma, or just about any Atlantic animal from us... there is your connection to Haiti.
I've been thinking of our supplier and friend over there all day. We've been calling and emailing all day...of course to no connections. The dozens of families that work for our suppliers there are in our prayers.
Our supplier was so excited about the improvements that she was making to her systems to improve the quality of the animals she sent us. I spoke with her yesterday morning and she was all set to deliver to us next week. Now....who knows. We just hope everyone is safe.
We are all connected in some small way with each other. And things can change in an instant.
Wow. Sorry that got depressing but I have been thinking about this all day.
Scott

teresaq

They are in our thoughts and prayers also.
Our youngest daughters birthfather is from Haiti, I am sure she must have some family there, even if we dont know them.
T

lovethesea

This is terrible. The country was a mess to begin with and now total devastation. The secondary wave is what is going to kill many many more. No meds, water, medical care,fuel, deceased laying the the streets.
Lets hope the USA is NOT the only country that gives a hoot about this.

browniebuck

yeah...this is the kind of thing that I WANT our government to get involved in...not invading a country, but offering any and all help that we can to help them in their time of need. Let's hope that Obama does the right thing and gives as much help as we can possibly offer.

lovethesea

Jets from Canada and Iceland landed earlier. They said now the problem is logistically getting this stuff out to the people.
I can't stand seeing the poor kids wandering around.........

meowzer

Originally Posted by lovethesea
http:///forum/post/3208816
Jets from Canada and Iceland landed earlier. They said now the problem is logistically getting this stuff out to the people.
I can't stand seeing the poor kids wandering around.........

OMG On CNN they were showing kids sitting there next to other dead children ....they had NOWHERE else to go, or had broken limbs and couldn't get up

teresaq

There are so many orphans already there. The adoption agency we used said that the orphange they have there was right in the middle but none of thier kids were hurt. They are taking donations now to get suppies to them.
T

ophiura

There are so many organizations that have been in the country for quite awhile. I do beg people to find a way to send something. Times are tight, but there is really nothing Haiti can do. They can't relocate poeople, they don't have much infrastructure to start with...I worry that this will just be lost in all the other news or pseudo-news we get caught up in.

nw2salt08

I know my donations will be made. This should be a global alert to aid these people. Such a major devastation with so many people involved needs to be assisted. Not just by the US but all over. I pray for all the families and the people that have been lost. And I hope that we can come together to help them when they truly need it the most regardless of their economic state.

darthtang aw

As I am watching some this I keep wondering, how can Haiti be so different from the Dominican when it is on the same tiny island...in everyway they are opposites....

stevedave08

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
http:///forum/post/3209142
As I am watching some this I keep wondering, how can Haiti be so different from the Dominican when it is on the same tiny island...in everyway they are opposites....
The Dominican Republic is littered with luxurious resorts built by wealthy European and Canadian investors. These resorts provide jobs and the investors usually even pay to fix up the surrounding areas (any close by towns of their resorts). So tourists go there and everyone benefits. I don't hear about too many tourists going to Haiti, except for humanitarian or missionary reasons. I'm sure they have similarly beautiful beaches to the ones I've been to in the D.R., but I've never heard of any resorts in Haiti. Tourism can really make a country like that. I am saddened that I can't do more to help.