Prefilters or no prefilters

C

crm13

I guess this is more of a poll, but I am curious to know... do you use prefilter sponges on your powerheads or no? I have been using them all along now, and they are such a pain to clean and really slow down effectiveness of the powerhead when they get dirty enough. I was hoping to get enough justification to do away with them.:) Also, any seaclone skimmer people that happen to read this, do you use the prefilter sponges on the intake for the mj1200? Thanks for your responses.:joy:

squidd

No sponges...have a "screen like" device for keeping critters from getting sucked in though...

T

tizzo

I use em. I tried not to but I kept losing snails, and God only knows what happened to my nudi... If you find them hard to clean, just replace them. They are pretty inexpensive, unless of course, you choose to eliminate them all together.:D

C

crm13

Thanks, guys. I think that I may go without them and see how that works out. I'll tell ya, the skimmer definitely seems much more productive without the prefilter on there. And, that one was a real pain to get to because I moved it to my sump and that thing barely fit under my stand. Getting to the prefilter was pretty tough. I left the plastic strainer pieces on all the powerheads as well. Thanks for all the responses. It definitely helped making that decision much easier for me.:)

zap800

i had them and i was having an algea prob then i took them off and i am slowly getting it under controle. im not blaming them but they sure were not helping me.

jeepboy

I use them to same my lettuce nudibranches from certain death. I prefer not to have them since they make my overflow gurgle more, but I am really hopeful the nudis eat some bryopsis. They do collect alot of debris, but they are also full of pods so they don't seem to get too bad.