Pregnant Cleaner Shrimp

cgbosnm8

I have two cleaner shrimp in my tank, one of which has what appears to be hundreds of tiny light green eggs cemented to the swimmerets (underside) of her tail. I'm familiar with female lobsters storing their eggs on their tails so I can only assume that these are eggs.
Any idea how long it will take for them too hatch? Will they more than likely be consumed by the other inhabitants of my tank?
Appreciate any help. Thanks.

bot587

The spawn will most likely be eaten by other inhabitants. The eggs will hatch in 3-7 days... Depends how long it has been there. Without posting a picture i can not say for sure whether they are eggs or not. Good luck with your spawn :happy:

bang guy

The eggs will hatch in 10 - 14 days depending on your water temp. All of the resulting larvae will be eaten by something.

flipper263

This is one mine looked like just before it spawned....all the fish in the tank had a feast which was great for them...not so great for all the little shrimpies...
(we got to watch it happen...pretty cool)
Brenda

bang guy

I can see your point BOT. No way we can know how long the eggs have been there. it's 10 - 14 days from when they were laid.
They will turn from Green to brown 2 days before they hatch.

cgbosnm8

As far as how easy...I didn't do anything, just happened to have two shrimp in the tank.
The eggs have been on the tail for well over a month now. Still light green but are getting bigger. Shrimp eats fine & appears to be very healthy.
Guess I'll have to wait & see.

nflnutswif

I have a pregnant shrimp too, where do they lay their eggs? I only have a diamond goby and a few hermits will they still be eaten? or can I protect them?:nervous:

bang guy

Originally posted by cgbosnm8
The eggs have been on the tail for well over a month now.

Probably not. I would guess the other shrimp had the previous batch of eggs and not this one has them and you just didn't notice the hatching.
Typically after a hatch the shrimp will molt, breed with the other shrimp, and then have a fresh batch of eggs a few days later.
Don't be surprised if both shrimp have eggs in a few days.

a short

bang guy:
Is there any way to isolate the shrimp and sucessfully raise the eggs or is it almost impossiable? I have 2 cleaner shrimp which also have eggs very often but I have noticed them eating them right out off their own belly finn thingy. Just curiouse.

josiah

cgbosnm8 if you do succesfully raise them, I would want to buy a few if you are willing to sell them. That goes for anyone oelse with shrimp or clownfish they want to get rid of. Will pay for them. Thanks

texag04

I get eggs all the time. Raising them would be tough, besides being eaten the larvae usually get sucked up by powerheads. I actually had the priviledge of seeing a batch of eggs hatch. It usually happens at night. The larvae are transparent and are easily picked up by the current.