problems with temperature

bishop82

I've just recently upgraded my lighting to a coralife 96 watt quad 50/50 PC, I've got the legs that raise it above the tank and there in place but I'm still noticing a temperature flux of about 5-6 degrees every night, the heater in the tank is a 25 watt one, not sure on the brand, but it doesn't seem to be turning on anymore, least i don't see the light on. Anyone have any suggestions? I've heard of chiller units and all, but the tank is only a ten gallon, with a ten gallon sump/fuge below it, the temp in the fuge seems to be more stable then the temp in the tank. Which confuses the heck out of me. I'm wanting to add corals to the tank in a month or so but I'm concerned that with the temp variance that I'll end up killing anything i put in there, atm my fish and inverts seem to be doing fine, but 3 of the 4 fish are finding new homes at the end of next week, only leaving my yellow coris wrasse in there, or the green mandarin not sure which one i'd like more. Suggestions anyone? Thanks.

T

tuningvis

what tempature does it flucuate between ..
in your fuge do your lights go on at the same time as the main tank? if so you need to make it so they come on at diff times.
there is a thing called an ice probe which i've heard works wonders and is designed for smaller tanks

bang guy

Get a better heater or a pair of good heaters to stop the temp fluctuation.
Then get a fan and point it at the tank. Plug it into the same timer the lights are on so that it cools the tank only when it's lit. The increased evap will keep it cool but you'll need to topoff more often.

T

tuningvis

hey bang i keep my tank at 80 and it stays there but lately my ricodia floridia (the one i've had from the very start) is turning white ... like it's bleaching or something
everything else around it appears healthy and stable
it's just one ric that is doing this
sorry to hijack just thought it might be because of temp

bang guy

I have Ricordea in my nano. I keep the temp at 85F. Floriday water are cooler than most reefs but 80F is a pretty typical temp for Ricordea florida in the wild.

T

tuningvis

it did have one that spawned off a foot but that did the same thing and is gone now
it hasn't split
and my other mushrooms and my other yuma are doing great... can they die from old age ? haha

bishop82

allright, at the moment none of the lights are on a timer, I turn the tank light on when i get up in the morning, usually around 6 am, and I'm turning it off around 3 pm, the fuge light I turn on around noon and turn off around 8-9 pm, I've been on a limited budget recently and haven't been able to buy a timer for the lights, I guess this could be part of my problem then huh? Anyone have any suggestions for heaters and timers? when is a good time to turn on the lights in the tank and fuge, how long should they stay on? Thanks for the replies.

feixjai

maybe you should have a heater. my heater broke and my temps stayed at 78 with the lights on and without it was about 76