Product Review Forum

mboswell1982

this is something we definitely need to get set up, it would be nice to be able to log on here with a question about a piece of equipment, an instead of starting a whole new thread an so on.
with the new forum, people can just scroll through it an bam, there's the product they're lookin for info on, an wow, its got all the information you'd ever need for it right there

drpaul84

great idea, would really assist people in making decisions and would cut down on the "hey should i get this" posts

snakeblitz33

Also - something else, the top most post on threads are your top products - if those products are obtainable through swf.com or swf.com makes them obtainable - hey - that's increased profits for them and we are happy too because we get to have a place where people can actually review the products they have used.

renogaw

I honestly don't see this stopping the "should i buy this" or the "what about suchandsuch" threads. there are so many different items out there, with more coming out every day, that there isn't going to be an effective way of showing people where it is in the forum simply cause you may have to go back 3-4 pages just to discuss one item that came out two weeks ago.
sry snake, it may be a good idea on paper, but implementation and usage may be a lot more difficult than it's worth.

sepulatian

I think it is a great idea. The threads would of course have to be watched for those that will try to slip in other dealers of the products. We would put a sticky on the top to remind folks that it is against the rules to post other sites though. It would be an excellent tool for both hobbyists that are in the market for new equipment and also for SWF. Consumers will be able to see what experiences others have had with certain brands and models. It will benefit SWF because they will know what the highest rated pieces of equipment are among the hobbyists who frequent here, which will help them decide what is likely to sell. I give the idea two enthusiastic thumbs up

snakeblitz33

ren,
I don't see why it's better on paper, honestly. And no - I'm not thinking that it will stop the "can I get this..." sort of threads because those are valuable questions for people to ask and should be answered by experienced hobbyists.
"can I get this..." questions lead to products being recommended. If that person wants a better idea of what to get, he can get a more accurate review in the product review forum. Pretty simple, IMO.
But, I guess it can be difficult on the flip side. IF someone gives a really bad review of something because of their own ignorance...

sepulatian

But, I guess it can be difficult on the flip side. IF someone gives a really bad review of something because of their own ignorance...
I wouldn't be overly concerned about that. There will always be someone who will post something off the wall. That is when other's step in and provide the correct information. If it is a review board then there will be both positive and negative reviews.

snakeblitz33

Here's one thing though, What if someone makes four threads "seaclone 100 review" and four different people write four different reviews on the same product? Would that be a problem? Would there only be one main review thread going for each seperate product, or will it be free range?
I think that's a valid question.

gmann1139

I think there's also a benefit to the 'business' side of the site.
If a product is getting bashed in reviews, and a nearly equivalent competitor is getting great reviews, it allows SWF to better meet their customer's needs.
I also agree that the logistics/rules of this forum need to be worked out, but I think there are enough members with stake, along with the mods and admins, that it can all be worked out.

renogaw

it may or it may not be, and can always be discontinued or phased out at some point. i just don't know how anyone is going to even look for a review on a product. look how many times someone different wants an id on aiptasia...
as for the one person who disagrees with a product's other reviews, sometimes that happens and the person reviewing it may see something that reviewer did and know not to repeat it.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///forum/post/2912553
Here's one thing though, What if someone makes four threads "seaclone 100 review" and four different people write four different reviews on the same product? Would that be a problem? Would there only be one main review thread going for each seperate product, or will it be free range?
I think that's a valid question.
We can easily merge the topics together as they come. My thought on this is that there are different threads for different products.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by renogaw
http:///forum/post/2912964
it may or it may not be, and can always be discontinued or phased out at some point. i just don't know how anyone is going to even look for a review on a product. look how many times someone different wants an id on aiptasia...
as for the one person who disagrees with a product's other reviews, sometimes that happens and the person reviewing it may see something that reviewer did and know not to repeat it.
My thought on this was that it would be a review section on SWF. People can post about a piece of equipment. We can merge threads together that are of the same thing. If someone has a question then we can tell them where to find the information for that piece of equipment. We wouldn't necessarily move questions to that forum, but use it as a guide for those asking. It may work, it may not. IMO it sounds like a good idea. It wouldn't really be a place to ask questions though. I can see how the threads would get messy in that sense. It would be purely informative like the archives. We would need a place for all of this information to be gathered. It would be ever growing as new equipment is used or introduced.

snakeblitz33

There would always be a need for this forum. I can see where it would also get muddled up with people asking "is this protein skimmer for me?" type questions. However, I think it would be a great place to like copy the link of the product review thread and post in a thread that they are asking questions about that certain product.
We definately need this forum everyone! I think that we could all benefit from this. Hopefully we can all get it done.

mantisman51

I think it would be good.Even if you have "less enlightened" folks criticizing a product unfairly, it gives a point of view that some folks (like me) of limited abilities (I'm a clutz) would be able to realize maybe they (me) may not want to buy an item because of our lack of coordination and experience. Conversely,we might also think,"If it's that good and easy. I have to get one of those.Even I can use that".Bully idea.I have a alot of equipment lying around because it was over my experience level and now I buy equipment from the LFS only, so I can see it in action and get real,useful advice on efficacy and ease of operation/installation.

snakeblitz33

Well, what I think about inexperienced people posting product reviews: If you look at the reviewers post count and join date, you can get an idea if they are experienced or not.
I kept aquaria for a long time before I ever came here though. I'm just saying that if the reviewer is inexperienced, he will show that he is inexperienced when someone who knows more about it steps in and corrects him/her.
I feel like this forum is needed, not only for consumers but for swf.com to also take advantage of consumer tastes and preferences (which in my opinion is the number one thing to listen to!)