Progress Report :)

So after having a my 75 Gal tank for a few months I was starting to get disappointed that my Live rock was not growing any coraline on it!!! well my rock started to grow a dark green algae on it and I was concerned, but I had my friend watch my tank for me while I was away for work... I came home and that green Algae has now started to turn into a lovely purple coraline algae I was so happy to see this... it started very soon after I added a huge chunk of live rock from my friends tank that was covered in the lovely purples! but anywho my tank is doing great my 5 fish are super happy :) now its time to start looking at some more fish... My tank is happy, the fish are happy, no more brown algae on the sand, growing coraline, my anemone are getting bigger and my clowns love to cuddle them :)
this is what I have going
after having the nano listed below I thought it was time to start getting into fish :)
12 gallon nano going for 3 years now
-no fish in this tank just coral
75 gal
-2 anemone
-1 shrimp
-1 huge lion fish
-1 maroon clown
-1 saddle back clown
-1 hermit
-1 copperbanded butterfly
-1 green mandrin
+ 60 pounds of live rock - getting more
+ 80 pounds of sand
+ Canister filter
+ 700 gal hour power head
+ Coralife protein skimmer
+ CPR bak pak protein skimmer
+ no heater at this time - no need for it
-amazingly all the fish live together and stay out of each others way and they get along great! so far keep fingers crossed.

oh yeah that would be some pretty usefull info wouldnt it!
well I am not sure of the name brand of my canopy light but it contains
2 rows of straight pin power compacts at 12,000k each so thats 4 lights
also have 1 row of actinic (sp?) at 7500k so thats 2 lights.... :)
they seem to do just great in keeping my tank happy and alive! I have my light cycle set up for only 6 hours...
I was also going to ask how do you guys recomomend shifting your daylight hours. I want mine from 2pm to 9pm only becuase my crazy work hours...
I work from 7am to 7pm half the week and then the other half I work from 7pm to 7am!!! any suggestions?

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2664733
How big is this "huge" lion? What kind is it? That puts a damper on smaller fish additions.

Vilotan lion spelling on that?
lol well he is pretty large about 6-8" long I finally got him close to the glass to measure him :) I would have to say his mane is just about the same size as he is long.. I included his clear fins in this measurement not sure if thats proper or not.... there is a green mandrin in there now and he is about an inch long and he is doing fantastic :)

so this is what I was thinking... let me know what you think
-Blue Hippo tang
-Yellow tang or two
would this work?
I also need to start investing in cleaner crews...
is it true they say have 1 hermit per 2 gallons????? that seems nuts
My hermit was a hitchhicker
and 4 of my 8 turbo snails were hitchers!
I got some live rock from a friend and it has some corals on it but not sure what they are I went through the coral ID pages and didnt see mine on there, I want them gone though... because I dont want them to die lol...

maybe not a blue hippo tang, just had a thought that maybe its not a good idea to buy a fish that may outgrow my tank... I dont want to have to worry about upgrading simply becuase I say I want to upgrade now but who says ill have the money in the future :)...
so I would like to get
- yellow tang or two? (hear there great in groups)
- ?
- ?
what else should I get that will make my tank pop out... some color I am looking for :)

crypt keeper

Yellow Tangs get very big. They will outgrow your 75g as well. They are gorgeus fish. But Like I stated in another thread. Everything starts out small and takes time to grow. I had a yellow tang in a 40 gallon for almost two years before he out grew it. I bought him very very small. Maybe 1 1/2 inches in length. You would have many more options if you transfered your Lion fish to another tank and had a fish only tank with more aggressive fish to go with him. Like an Eel and a larger grouper or clown trigger that would leave his fins alone. The Lion will eat almost all the smaller colorful fish options out there from what I have seen in my own personal experience.
Post some pictures of all the fish you have now and entire tank picture from as close as the camera can fit it in view.

hey thanks for informing me of the yellow tangs I had no clue but what a bummer!!! deff not going to get them because I dont want the out growing issue... I just got of work and its 0740 so its bed time :)...illl post pics on this thread when I am awake and moving...

sorry the pics are not of the upmost quality my camera has gone astray I can not find it :(... so camera phone here I came!!!
1. the requested picture
2. the stand too :)
3. Crusty the maroon
4. Copper-banded butterfly
5. some hitchhikers that seem to be fine after the light turns on

the rest
1. some hitchhickers not sure what they are
2. my beloved Kevin the shrimp
3. saddle back clown
4. can you find my green mandarin
5. just the corner
The reason my tank is so clean is because of how my father made me help him clean his tank... I use a credit card whenever I see gunk on the back wall... I also clean the sand daily by stirring it up. and every two weeks I clean my equipment off with a saltwater cleaning product not sure if I can say what it is on here if SWF.com doesn't cary it.
the tank has been running going on 5 months here soon, and so far no real big bumps, only thing I have ran into is aipitasia :(

finally got some high definition pictures after fiddling with my camera for a while.... pretty proud of this picture :)
but heres Creep my Mandarin Green
and MMMMm enchiladas I made

well I have decided to sell the Lion fish, I asked my dad if he wanted him back and he said NO WAY! he said sell it and get some cool looking fish just do your research :)

crypt keeper

your tank is pretty freakin neat man. How did you get the arches in the rock like that? I cant wait to get my 55 running so I can add more fishes.

thank you! that made my dad that someone thinks it looks good! lol. Well I got those arches by buying rock that I though I could do it with. I drew what I wanted my tank to look like for a friend at denny's at 2am on a napken, and I kept that design and bought rock that would work for me. My brain works for when putting stuff together liek a puzzle before actually doing it. I still need to add more live rock I am just scared to... also once I get rid of my lion it will free up a lot of space to get new fish :)

crypt keeper

well normally people just lump it all together and go hey i put rock in my tank. Like I have about 6 pieces now and i placed them so that my fish can swin in between them. But they way you did that it badass. did you tie them together with anything opr did you just get lucky as hell and find pieces to fit like that?

I drove to LFS for a distance of 703 miles and 200$ in gas trying to find rock that would work for the way I wanted my rocks to look :) Like I said I put them together in my head and then I hunt for the rock that will work for me. and I just push on them in all directions to make sure they stay. one piece was real wobly so I put saltwater safe purple adhesive on it... :)

I would really like to do this but I am not sure how to put it on there now that the tank is near the wall I have about 7-8 inches of space back there :( any ideas?