Project Fishroom underway for new 240 setup

acrylic51

Finally new fishroom project is underway for my new 240 setup... Tank was made by Glass Cages and has center overflow with 3 1.5 bulkhead holes and 2 2" bulkheads drilled in back panel for CL....Front panel and left side panel are Low E glass for clarity.....
I've converted a portion of my garage over to house the new addition.... Due to my mistake can't move the tank into the family room as originally planned.... Converting the garage over to a dedicated fishroom is a huge project... Not only do I have to set the tank up but must make all the prepartations for electrical needs, room lighting, heating and cooling and planning to have running water and a sink in my filter room behind the tank as well...
I will be posting pics of the progress of the work and please excuse the pics not the greatest photographer!!!!!!

druluv

I wouldn't fret, I probadly the best place to put a tank is in the Garage. Can't wait to see it set up.:D

viet-tin

I put my tank into my garage wall as well. It wouldnt fit anywhere in the family room and after seeing other in walls it inspired my brother and I to put it through the wall. Took us 2 days to the project. Luckily for us the area we put the tank in used to be a doorway leading into the office when it used to be a model home so wiring or plumbing wasnt an issue. Hope everything goes well for you and post lots of pics as you progress:D

acrylic51

More pics of the subfloor being done to insulate from the cold concrete and electrical wiring being hidden under floor... The fish room will have 3 dedicated circuits as well.. I'm going to run the room lighting and extra electrical outlets on 1 circuit, main pump and lights on another, additional pump and misc stuff on the other... Haven't run the conduit yet for the outlets in the filter room as of yet....Also you can see the installation of supply water lines and drain for the sink in the filter room as well

robchuck

That's a

[hr]
fishroom you've got going there! Glad to see you are finally underway with this project, and I look forward to seeing it when it's finished. I'm starting on my big tank project this afternoon for the 300g system I'm picking up this weekend, and this thread has gotten me excited to get started.

ctgretzky9

I'm sorry, but real construction doesn't start until I see some empty beer bottles/cans around.
In any event, good luck! I want to do this so bad in my house, but I know I'm only a couple of years away until I buy my next house, and there is now way I could leave that behind.
I'll just have to wait...but please post lots of pics so I know what to do and not when I'm ready.

acrylic51

Usually if I crack open 1 tends to lead to another and another and I'd probably still be sitting pondering!!!!!
It's bad enought with the cigarette breaks!!!!!

robchuck

Originally posted by acrylic51
Hey Rob, what's your plans for the new tank????

My original plan was to setup the GC 150 that I bought last year, but that plan was scrapped when we had trouble with the sale of our home.
The updated plan was to go with an in-wall acrylic tank in the 200g range at our new place, and I was getting close to ordering a tank.
Then, I found a complete 300g system for sale locally stocked with fish, corals (tons of SPS, LPS, and just about everything else), and almost every piece of equipment that I could ever need. I'm picking up the tank this weekend, and will build a fishroom around the system. The tank is acrylic, and the stand and canopy will be used behind the wall and are works of art! The back side of my tank will look nicer than the front! Keep an eye out in the Reef Forum for a thread about the setup.
The tank will be a bare-bottomed mixed reef with lots of random flow (1" Sea Swirls on a CL), a Tunze Wave Box (I've had one of these on order since I saw one in action at IMAC last summer), and bright lighting (400 watters).

acrylic51

Sounds like a sweet setup Rob, can't wait to see pics.... Hopefully this weekend I can get back into my fishroom to get more done, but it always seems something else comes up!!!!!
JackNJill will be a full blown reef when all said and done alot will be transferred over from tank setup now, just alot of upgrading and making room for stuff that needs to be fragged..Plan to expand my tangs as well... Love my Tangs!!!!! Hopefully can get my hands on a Black Tang at some point....
Still tons of work to do before we get to that point....

acrylic51

Originally posted by big Boy69
I'd leave the bike hanging behind it, it sorta adds charachater.

Everyday after work I tell myself I'm going to take the bike down, but it hasn't happened yet.... I'll get to it as soon as I start framing the top wall over the tank.... The filter room will be behind the tank... The sump that will run the tank will be done in acrylic and it will be 72"Lx30"Wx24"H...Will leave me plenty of room to play with and grow out some frags as well....