Proper lighting for coralline growth?

louti

I recently set up a fish only tank that has live rock in it. I do not intend to keep any corals/inverts, however, I would like to get the coralline algae to grow on my live rock. What is the minimum lighting that I need to achieve this? My tank is a 29 gal. Also, what levels do I need my calcium and alkalinity at for coralline growth? Does coralline require any other supplements?

chuckcac

i have nice coralline spreading all over my DIY baserock. 75lbs of base rock seeded by 2lbs of reeeeeally nice LR that were covered with it.
I test pH - alkalinity - Calcium - and magnesium on a weekly basis.
i have standard normal output flourescents
I dose with purple-up (one capfull/week) to maintain Ca levels. (I know the reccommended dose is one capful daily - but i dont need that much yet)
Welcome to the Boards!

bang guy

If you want quick coralline growth then lower light + high waterflow is the ticket.
You should also diligently maintain alkalinity between 3.0 Meq/L and 3.5 Meq/L. Calcium just needs to be moderate, anything between 350 - 450 will be fine.
Phosphate needs to be low or zero.

scopus tang

I've had the best luck growing coralline with PC lighting and nothing but actinic bulbs. That will however give your tank a very "blue" look, which many people don't like.

snakeblitz33

not necessarily high light- low to mid light or if you do have high light, such as 250 to 400 watt metal halides, you can go with a bluer bulb (14k's to 20k's).
High internal flows spreads coralline and "seeds" the tank. Also, maintain proper calcium levels and check to make sure magnesium stays in the upper 1200's to 1300's and you're good to go.
By the way, never EVER add anything to your tank that you can not adequately test for. Purple up adds a large dose of calcium in your tank and can cause certain pH and calcium precipitation problems.
Also, coralline likes almost prestine conditions such as zero nitrate, zero phosphate and very clean water.
I hope all goes well with your coralline adventures!

louti

Thank you all for the advice. Well, I have a 50/50, so it sounds like I'm fine with the lighting. I also bought the calcium and alkalinity buffer, I just haven't started using it until I get test kits for them. Thanks again.