Proper Lighting for SPS

attml

One question that I hear on the board quite frequently is "Do I have enough lighting for SPS corals?" It seems like this question is asked a lot because many of us jump into this hobby pinky toe first due to the great expense of the equipment needed to keep a succesful reef tank. As a result we usually out grow our initial tanks and in an effort to keep ourselves from getting bored with the hobby many aquarist take on a new tank/project. A lot of people turn their sights on SPS corals because they are some of the most challanging to keep. In doing so, being consumers on a budget, we try to do this as cheaply as possible. Trying to be cost conscious many aquarist try to keep SPS corals under their existing VHO or PC lighting (initially myself included). Unfortunately this can be very detrimental to the coral! You may have seen some of my posts in recent lighting threads where I strongly advocate Metal Halide lighting due to it's superior intensity. The reason for this is that I learned the hard way and nearly killed a bunch of really nice corals. The picture sequence below is of a frag of Acropora Yongei that I got from a fellow aquarist at one of my local aquarium club meetings. He had an extra piece nobody wanted so I said "sure I'll take it" even though I only had 260watts of PC lighting over my 55 gallon. It actually colored up a little bit after adding it to my tank. After that it started to fade due to light starvation (as you can see below). In the last pic you can see the life coming back to the frag due to me going to a Metal Halide/VHO lighting system. It appears at this point that the frag is going to recover! If I hadn't gone to Metal Halide this frag would be completely dead by now! I am posting this because I read back over some of my old posts in other lighting threads and I kind of sounded like the poster child for Metal Halide lighting. If this is the case I apoligize but as you can see I am trying to keep others from making the same mistakes I did! Hopefully someone will benifit from these pictures and it will help give a better idea of why I push Metal Halide so hard!
The picture on the left is right after I brought the frag home - notice the color of the polyps and the coral itself (very dark). 1 month later you can see in the picture on the right that the coral itself is loosing color

attml

The picture on the left is at the 2.5 month stage. The coral is really starting to loose color and it is definitely fading! The picture on the right is at the 3.5 month stage - I had to frag it back due to tissue recession to try to slavage what I could! Not looking good!

attml

Here is the frag taken tonight after 2 months of being under metal halide lighting. After nearly loosing the frag completely it is recovering because it is no longer light starved! You can see from the pictures having the proper lighting is everything when it comes to having SPS corals that thrive. There are a select few who have had success with SPS corals using lighting other than metal halide, but if you want to be sure that your tank thrives and is not just "getting by" go with Metal Halide!!

superman

very informative demonstration. I appreciate it. Now I want to know though if Power Compact is suitable. The only reason I ask is because a few LFS near me say that PC lighting is definitely adequate in the rearing of corals.

attml

Power Compacts are definitely suitable for some corals - I just wouldn't recomend them for SPS corals! I have that same 260w Powercompact set up over my 30 gallon LPS and soft coral tank now and it does a pretty good job for those types of coral

spsfreak100

Very nice thread, Mark!
FWIW,
I'll also show you what can happen to even the most beautiful corals, under power compacts/VHO's.
The first picture I'll show you, is the coral 1 month of being under Power Compacts. Note the brown coloration, and very fat polyps.
* The coral pictured is an A. Millepora

spsfreak100

The coral started to receed just before adding halides. Almost half the coral (from the bottom up) was lost.
I added halides, and this is what one month under halides can do.
Graham

attml

Thanks Graham! Great Pics! There is nothing like a before and after shot to really help prove a point!

sammystingray

attml, that is one of the BEST photo demonstrations of the fact it takes months, not days, for a coral to die under too weak of lighting that I have seen yet....this is my favorite post in quite awhile......thank you.

jim27

But the point is that the sps were thriving under PC's. I'm just pointing out that halides aren't a 100% necessity like people make them.

jim27

Yes exactly thats kinda what I'm trying to show here, its not only lighting that goes into sps. I know many many people have failed with it. Thats why I dont recommend PC's with sps. But I'm just saying it CAN and HAS worked very well for people. If it worked in a 10 gallon with 56watts, then it could work in any size tank, assuming the corals are close to the light.

attml

You have a valid point and as I said in my prior post there are some who have had success with SPS using PC & VHO. The caution that I am trying to throw out to everyone is that a lot of people will look at these FEW exceptions to the rule and hold these tanks as the rule itself! Most aquarist won't have that type of success with PC lighting and SPS. The majority of thriving SPS coral under PC that I have seen have been in nano tanks which the majority of aquarists don't have! Without sounding overzealous, my question to you is have YOU ever succesfully kept SPS long term under PC? The danger in posting a link like you just posted is you make it sound very easy without being able to tell how hard or easy it is first hand!. Someone will see your post and they will say "I don't need Metal halide to do SPS look at this guy's stuff". At that point people are spending their money based on the exception to the rule and not the rule itself which is the whole reason I started this thread - To avoid disasters that are just waiting to happen!

jim27

Personally, no, I haven't tried sps under PC's. I upgraded to mh on my nano before I added any sps into it. You'd have to talk to brooklyn johnny about how hard they are to keep, he has sps in his pc lit tank as well. I'm not trying to get people to buy PC's for there sps instead of MH, or to disprove anything you said. Just showing the other side of things.

attml

Early in my reefing career someone once told me that you could keep any coral there was under 5 watts per gallon (and I believed them!) That is why I originally (blindly) went with 260 watts over my 55 gallon (4.7 wpg) because that is truely all I thought I would need. If I had seen a post like this back then I probably would have saved my money and gone metal halide the first time around and skipped the PC's completely saving me a great deal of money and work! I don't mean to sound harsh or like I am trying to slam you - that is not my intention at all! You and skilos had already worked most of my point out while I was still typing my last post. Again, my point is that if you want to give your SPS corals the best chance for survival and the closest conditions to their natural enviroment then go Metal Halide!

brooklyn johnny

Great thread attml and long overdue! This issue is regularly debated and hopefully we could all chime in hear and come to an agreement. The reason I say that is because I think all of us are on the same page here. Let's try and simplify things, because I honestly think this is not as complex an issue as it's sometimes made out to be.
Let's start with some common denominators we could all agree on. I will not get into PAR or wavelengths because that is not relevant. More important is the penetration of each of the types of light into the water column.
NO fluorescent bulbs penetrate less than PCs which penetrate less than METAL HALIDES which penetrate less than the EQUATORIAL SUN. We can all agree on that I hope.
Now let's take a given intensity, and call it X (oh my God I'm using something from high school:D ). Let X equal the intensity of light on a given coral reef at say 20 feet depth where some of the beautiful sps we keep come from, but more importantly let it equal also an intensity where sps will thrive. These numbers are just for arguments sake mind you. Whatever the depth, there is a quantifiable number where we will find X in a metal halide tank. Let's say 1 to 2 feet. Obviously there are a wide range of factors here, including bulb wattage, spectrum, reflectors, and the height of the bulb above the tank. (In regards to the latter look at Sanjay Yoshis studies on the penetration of metal halide lighting into the water column. The difference between mounting the halide 6", 9", or 12" above the tank is larger than most people would believe. Anyway sperate issue).
Then let's go to a PC bulb. X will still be found in PC bulbs, but much closer to the source... say between 0 and 6 inches. Please don't argue the n umbers themselves as they are purely for argument's sake.
In the NO fluorescent X would be somewhere inside the bulb let's say :D.
This is where my tank and Deezreef's tank fall in. All of the thriving sps and clams are within inches of the PC because they are 10 gallon tanks. Is the success simply because it's a 10 gallon. No. It's because the specimens are within inches of the PCs. Would this work in say a 75 gallon? Only if we piled live rock up to the top of the tank and directly under the lighting, which no one does because it would essentially be turning your 75 gallons of space into a live rock tank :D .
That is why we could all agree that those wishing to keep sps, clams, or other high light corals in larger tanks should use metal halides. Frankly I recommend halides for ALL larger tanks, regardless of specimens. With that said I also think when we start out in the hobby we should stay away from sps and clams regardless of lighting, as they are hard to keep for many other reasons. But, if experienced enough to provide a stable and as-natural-as-can-be living area, many sps are pretty hardy I believe.
attml you show a perfect example of light starvation, as there is one thing that seperates this example. Many people throw up pics and say "Look, my sps died and I have PCs... sps NEED halide." In Eric Bornemann's Aquarium Corals book (a must-have IMO), he mentions that die off can be caused by many things, and a lot of times from deteriorating water quality (which in itself could be 100 of things). However, it's easier to blame the lights, as that is so commonly the case. Lighting IS SUPER important, but so are MANY other issues. Anyway, all you changed is the lighting and the acro came back, so that is good evidence that the PCs were not doing it for the coral, which goes back to my first point about penetration.
attml I also completely agree on your point regarding people seeing my of Deezreef's tank and believing that PCs can keep sps under any conditions. That's unfortunate, but we can only help those who are willing to listen. I've said these things time and time again...
1. Nano-reefs are in general harder simply due to the fact that when something goes wrong, it manifests itself much faster, and so only those experienced should attempt them IMO. Yes beginner's could start out with them, but at a much slower pace and with more research.
2. Even if you aren't considering a reef tank, I recommend halides to all (even the novice as eventually you will want to upgrade, unless you're in the small percentage that DOESN'T get addicted to the hobby :D).
There are very few blanket statements in this hobby, as in "sps need halides." In most all cases that is true, but NOT all. I set up my 10 gallon after I got married because there was no way I was putting my 180 TEMPORARILY in the apartment my wife and I are renting. The 10 will be much easier to move, which will come later this year or next year, in which case my 180 will go up and house many of the small frags and clams I have in my nano. I did not have room for a halide due to the kitchen cabinets, and did research including looking at Deezreef's tank. Anyway I've gone way long, and won't bother to post pics of my tank unless requested (I have plenty of examples). Instead refer to the www.nano-reef.com homepage and follow the link to my tank by clicking on the pic.
Let's go back and forth on these things here... but please keep the bashing down and the arguments mature and backed up by facts. Please don't give examples of how you know people who have failed, as I am not argueing that. I'm just saying there are circumstances where they could thrive under PC. Read my recommendations on halides though, I am supporting them for all who want to keep these animals, with the exception of experienced reefers who are keeping nanos.
Anyway... I'm spent :cool:
Johnny

attml

BrooklynJohnny,
You make some excellent points! I only have 3 things to say in response - Metal Halide, Metal Halide & Metal Halide! (kidding of course!) I agree that lighting isn't the only factor that will determine a succesful tank! There is no substitute for a lot of experience and a little luck in this hobby! One of the most difficult things about this hobby (especially on a board like this) is that there are too many generaliztions and also not enough! This board provides information to users of all experience levels which is exactly why we are having this discussion right now. My interest in my original post was to provide in very clear detail why I think that Metal Halide is the best solution for SPS corals. This is based on my own personal experience as illustrated in my pictures. Due to time constriants I ommitted in my original post the fact that I knew I had good flow, my nitrites & nitrates were almost zero, ammonia was zero, my ph was at 8.2, alk was in the 10-11 range, calcium was in the 380-420 range. The problem with my post isn't with it's accuracy (I feel that I can pretty safely say that lack of light was killing my coral) - The problem with my post and all discussions of this kind is in it's generaliztion. My intent wasn't to change the minds of the more seasoned aquarists like yourself, or Skillos, BangGuy or Sammy. You all know that given the perfect conditions you could probably grow many corals with a flashlight! This post wasn't meant to be published in any Marine Biology textbooks! It was information designed (via easy to understand pictures) to minimize one of the most common mistakes that many beginner to moderate aquarist often make when trying to keep SPS corals! Unfortunately, what tends to happen with many good natured posts is that aquarists at a more advanced level often jump in and discount what is being said becuse the information being presented only applies in 90% of the cases of the discussion. I am not slamming what you or Jim have said - your points are valid! The problem I have is that instead of feeling like I have provided information designed to help the majority of people who could really use the direction, I feel like many users are going to come away from this post thinking "hey if they can get away with using PC lighting it should be good enough for my 90 gallon because it is $200 cheaper than Metal Halide!" Unfortunately, you and I who know better will never feel the impact of the situation that is often created by good information being discounted by the exceptions to the rule - the newbie who just killed his three new $60 Acros under PC lighting will! And so the cycle continues! Again, I am not trying to be harsh to you or disrespectful! - I actually have a great deal of respect for you and what you have done with your tank! I am just frustrated because despite my (and others) best efforts to try to be helpful to users who need it most it always seems to get discounted in one way or another!

brooklyn johnny

Attml I agree completely. I like the way you have gone about this thread, as you make no 100% generalizations, but rather recommendations. We're on the same page, it just frustrates me when I've been called "irresponsible" and "immoral" in the past for keeping my corals in my nano, yet at the same time if they were at a greater depth in a halide tank receiving the same light it would be responsible. I hope you get my drift. Your points are 100% right on IMO, and cannot be discounted ;) . Anyway I think the issue's covered.
On a seperate note I noticed you are in Maryland (where I am at work). Are you in CMAS or WAMAS? Did you get the A. yongei from one of the members? I actually got my A. yongei from George Scwab who is a member of both. Look into WAMAS, as we have some great events coming up including the rebuilding of the coral tank at the National Zoo in DC (with metal halides incidentally :D ).
Keep up the good work and keep us updated on the green slimer (aka A. yongei)
Johnny