Protein Skimmer Problems

gbyerly

I have a new 72g tank with sump and reef octopus 150int, live sand and rock. Treated tank for Ick and not I can not get skimmer to run w/o foaming over.
Have changed water 2-3 times, topped off tank numerous times and still foaming. I put a charcoal pad in sump also with no change. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

lmforbis

It can take a while for the out of control foaming to stop after you add something to the tank. I turn mine down as far as possible. Also make sure the skimmer is at the correct depth in the sump, I don't remember the exact depth but it is around 8 inches. I had to lift mine up in the sump quite a bit. A combination of letting it run and water changes eventually gets it under control. You really have to just watch it. Once it stops going crazy it will need to be turned back up.

pegasus

It can take a while for the out of control foaming to stop after you add something to the tank. I turn mine down as far as possible. Also make sure the skimmer is at the correct depth in the sump, I don't remember the exact depth but it is around 8 inches. I had to lift mine up in the sump quite a bit. A combination of letting it run and water changes eventually gets it under control. You really have to just watch it. Once it stops going crazy it will need to be turned back up.
+1. Set the internal water level at it's lowest point (outlet valve wide open), and adjust it as necessary to get the desired foam head. If it continues to overflow at lowest water level, take the skimmer pump apart and give it a good cleaning. A dirty pump will cause overflowing...