Protein Skimmer

nemo's mom

Can anyone recommend a protein skimmer? Mine is about to kick the bucket. It's a Prizm and I hate it. It either quits working or overflows. I would be interested to know what you guys use and have great success with (and little or no issues). Thanks in advance

04mach

Originally Posted by chilwil84
not trying to hijack but that has to be the cleanest sump i ever saw
Thank you.....I think?

stanlalee

Originally Posted by enyates
I use a SeaClone 100, it is good for up to 100 gallon tanks.
Rated to 100 gallons. Good for about 30 gallons

jmick

You shouldn't have a Seaclone at all, they are junk...any skimmer you have to modify to get it to function properly is garbage. Aqua-C makes very good skimmers, a little pricey but they are top notch.

hammerhed7

I have had good luck with my Coral LIfe needle wheel. For the money it works well, easy to adjust and clean, however I would purchase the next larger model than they reccomend for your size tank, they seem to be a bit undersized.

stanlalee

Originally Posted by Jmick
You shouldn't have a Seaclone at all, they are junk...any skimmer you have to modify to get it to function properly is garbage. Aqua-C makes very good skimmers, a little pricey but they are top notch.
mine hasn't required any modifications to work properly and its skimate actually isn't as watery as the AquaC remora's I've seen (although there's are much more consistant and quiter). I'm simply saying a venturi skimmer thats only 3.5" wide and 18" tall with a pump less than 300gph isn't built to skim a tank much bigger than 30 gallons even if its the best design. Look at any other reputable
skimmer designed to skim 100 gallons and see how big it is and the pump will be in comparison (AquaC excluded, they use some sort of spray nozzle technology unlike anybody else).
I'm about tired of posting these but just because some people cant get seaclones to work dont mean everybody cant. mine has no mods and requires little fiddling to work. Its now in sump and working fine there too. For $69 I'm certainly cant complain about the cost/performance ratio. A maxi-jet 1200 that it comes with alone cost $23

kstater

Dude, i agree, i have a seaclone 100 on my 75 gallon and it is doing wonders with no mods at all. Three Cups every week, or the dark think sludge. Seaclones are efficient and like you said very inexpensive.

tangs123

i third the seaclone, i also have one on my 75 and everyone says they dont work well but i dissagree
it is fantastic bang for your buck!!