protien skimmer

scubataibi

do i need a protein skimmer for a 10 gallon nano tank? its probably goin 2 have clown fish and when its old enough. how old does a 10 gal. tank need need to be 2 get anenome?:confused:

salty chee

Originally posted by scubataibi
do i need a protein skimmer for a 10 gallon nano tank? its probably goin 2 have clown fish and when its old enough. how old does a 10 gal. tank need need to be 2 get anenome?:confused:

I don't even think there is a protien skimmer for a ten gallon. A wave maker will also stabilise the aquarium.

G

gobyboy06

I have a 10 gallon nano and I dont have a protien skimmer on it.(Considering that they dont make a skimmer for a 10 gallon that Ive heard about . . .) You would be fine not having a skimmer as long as you do weekly water changes.

G

gobyboy06

What kind of lighting are you going to be using because anemones require high light and really good water quallity! :D And about your clownfish I had one when my tank was 3 weeks old so you dont have to wait that long if your really set on getting a couple! They are really hardy fish. :happyfish

scubataibi

is this good?
Marineland Eclipse 1 Filtration and Illumination System
150 gph; fits 10"x20" aquarium frame; fits 10 gallon or 15 high aquariums
$64.99 each
$64.99

[hr]
Profile 1000 Single Type Aquarium Air Pump
for 10 gal tanks; 1000
$7.99 each
$7.99

[hr]
Aquatic Gardens 8' Clear Air Line Tubing
8' length
$1.99 each
$1.99

[hr]
Coralife 2" Airstones 2-pack
length 2"; 2-pack
$4.99 each
$4.99
i already have a heater, water pump, i also need sand and live rock, is live sand neccesary?

G

gobyboy06

Well it depends on what kind of anemone you want.some require more light than others, but all of them need good lighting. Do you have a test kit? Because you should see if your water quallity is good, and yes 10 % is good. You should plan ahead though. You should mix your salt water a couple days ahead and let it sit. Use R/O water if you can! So how many wats dose the lighting system your using put out?

sula

I have had a 10 gallon nano for 8 months now and I am quite certain I will never feel that i can keep the water quality stable enough for any anemone.
I don't think a carpet would even fit in a 10 gallon.

G

gobyboy06

No, thats not enough for a carpet anemone. If you wanted to get one of those anemones I would recomend a satelite, or orbit power compact light that would maintain a carpet anemone. Way more watage! :yes: And I wold recomend at least 24 lbs! Dont skimp on the LR!

G

gobyboy06

Im pretty sure you could fit your carpet anemone in the tank you just wouldent put anything else besides your clowns in there! But I do agree with Sula It would be hard to maintain the water quality.

jeremyglen

I have a 10g nano that gives me problems all the time with water quality. You have to stay on top of those water changes. I do a 50% every 2-3 weeks. I have a problem with the protein layer building up on the surface, so I skim it off with a cup and replace the water when it gets bad.
I have a whisper 10 on the back and a rio 180 moving the water in a circular pattern. I have been trying for some time now to find a HOB overflow small enough for this tank because I am going to set up a sump underneath. I have found the design for the CPR C-Siphon overflows on a website and would like to try and have a smaller version, 150-175gph, built. I also have been thikning about constructing a small closed-loop for the tank, like the ones I built for my bigger tanks.
As for lighting, I went with a 70w MH from Aqua Medic. I love it and so does my Kenya Tree, mushrooms, poylps, and the plating montipora I got on Sunday. I had a CSL retrofit 32w 50/50 pc on the tank before and all the mushrooms loved it. I would go with something at least 60w or more on the MH and the 96w quad pc is probably the best you can get for your little tank.

G

gobyboy06

I would do at least 24 lbs ( 2 pounds for every gallon). Ya, a bubblle tip would be good. And about the satelite lighting, You should be able to get a fixture at your local Salt water fish store. I saw one that puts out 96 watts. You would be able to keep your anemone and only if you wanted to smaller clams.