Pumps??? What size would I need?

jwhiteuwc

I'm looking for a pump to push water about 10-15feet. when looking at pumps, what do I look for so that I can purchase the correct pump? I see something that says, "Max Head 21ft" is that the distance it can push water?
Any info would be great!
Makes models would help to. I'm looking to put a return system in my basement (direclty below the tank) to help with water changes, etc..
Thanks!

squidd

I take it your talking 10' "vertical" (up)...that would be your "Head" (or at least part of it...)
Also need to figure in line size restriction and elbow restriction ...
Then need to match to overflow capacity...
Generally pumps will have a "chart" with varying levels of capacity at differing head heights...
So the pump mentioned above "may" push 200@21', but 400@ 15' and 800@10' and 1200@4'...
Need to match overflow and head and find where they "match" on the charts..

bang guy

Iwaki RLT models are good pressure rated pumps and very reliable. Find a chart to determine which pump will work for you. First you need to know how much waterflow you want.
For basement sumps it's important to know that you don't have to have all or even most of your flow from the sump. A closed loop can provide more of the waterflow a lot more efficiently.

jwhiteuwc

Wow, sounds like a need to do some more research :)
Maybe I'll just make it a return system and have the pump in my premixed saltwater container to start with :)
Thanks for the info.