Purple Up

So I was at my LFS and ask the guy that I normally work with what I should use to help my coraline algae growth. He said that he likes Purple Up,
What are yalls thoughts? thank you in advance?
~grace

scopus tang

All purple up is is a calcium supplement - no different than dripping Kalkwasser for example - and you shouldn't be adding it without testing calcium levels.

king_neptune

I use purple up. I use 1 cap every other day. About 1/6 the recommended dose(they call for 3caps daily on a tank my size).
I have nothing negative to say, my Coraline exploded since I started dosing a couple months ago.
Will I always use purple up? No, in fact my bottle is half done. When its out, that will probably be the last time I ever turn to it.
But I definitely got my moneys worth, I have %3-5 coralline coverage now, and it just keeps gaining momentum.
Another method I just turned to today was to deliberately seed the tank. I took one of my nicer rocks, and scraped it in front of the power head. I will do this daily for a couple weeks and see what kind of improvement it makes.

cam78

Personally I find the coral line on my glass to be as annoying as hair algae. having it on the rocks is a different answer though.

scopus tang

Originally Posted by King_Neptune
http:///forum/post/3205164
I use purple up. I use 1 cap every other day. About 1/6 the recommended dose(they call for 3caps daily on a tank my size).
I have nothing negative to say, my Coraline exploded since I started dosing a couple months ago.
Will I always use purple up? No, in fact my bottle is half done. When its out, that will probably be the last time I ever turn to it.
But I definitely got my moneys worth, I have %3-5 coralline coverage now, and it just keeps gaining momentum.
Another method I just turned to today was to deliberately seed the tank. I took one of my nicer rocks, and scraped it in front of the power head. I will do this daily for a couple weeks and see what kind of improvement it makes.
Once it starts growing onto the glass of your tank, and you have to start scraping it off with a razor blade on a regular basis, you're going to wish you didn't have so much.

jrod4u

personally, I think if one can be patient enough and keep thier parameters in check, eventually you will have growth. I say let it happen, don't force it. I have only ever added suplements, i.e., calcium, trace minerals, etc.

nycbob

if its fowlr, then its ok to use. for a reef, just gotta be careful since it can throw things out of balance.

I have a fish only, well Eel only setup so far, sooner or later I want to get into some reef. It sounds like there are mixed messages. I started with one capful every 3-5 days, I have a 55g tank. I guess we'll see..
~grace

nemo22

i have used it for several years, one cap full every week. it keeps my calcium levels just right, without affecting alk. or ph. i use it in 100gal. reef

geoj

Purple Up is calcium and iodide the boost in coralline growth is because of the iodide supplementation. In my tank the iodide level will become undetectable in a weeks time slowing coralline growth. Adding some iodide between water changes will keep soft corals and algae growth going, full on. There is very little calcium in Purple Up and it is not a cost effective way to keep calcium up in the long run. Water changes are what keep calcium up for the most part in the beginning.

king_neptune

Thats pretty much dead spot on Geo.
I would use it as a $20 gimmick that works...but in the long run its just a noob method to boost your Coraline growth...but it does work as advertised.
And a reduced dosage is a very safe way to go. Still just the same, you should be testing your levels weekly to be safe.

the_bandit

The best and most natural option IMO is to buy some rock with great coraline growth, keep the rock submerged in water the whole time, and use a razor blade to scrape the coraline. This will release spores and go all over your tank. I would keep maybe one powerhead on when scraping so the spores go everywhere. Doing this every couple days will really help. Other than that, just patience and water changes are the best advice.
Additives and chemicals should be the last thing you do.

Originally Posted by GeoJ
http:///forum/post/3205519
There is very little calcium in Purple Up and it is not a cost effective way to keep calcium up in the long run. Water changes are what keep calcium up for the most part in the beginning.
This may show how new I am but how does doing a water change keep the calcium up? I am not disagreeing with you, Im just wanting to learn...
Originally Posted by King_Neptune
http:///forum/post/3205598
I would use it as a $20 gimmick that works...but in the long run its just a noob method to boost your Coraline growth...but it does work as advertised.
I am def a noob, so whatever works for me the easiest... I am getting rid of my Eel to go for more of a fish/reef set up... (trying to get my wife to like this as much as I do)
Originally Posted by The_Bandit

http:///forum/post/3205633
The best and most natural option IMO is to buy some rock with great coraline growth, keep the rock submerged in water the whole time, and use a razor blade to scrape the coraline. This will release spores and go all over your tank. I would keep maybe one powerhead on when scraping so the spores go everywhere. Doing this every couple days will really help. Other than that, just patience and water changes are the best advice.
Additives and chemicals should be the last thing you do.
I have a good amount of rock with coraline growth, thanks a lot, I will try this in the morning...
Thanks everyone for yalls help!!!

~grace

bang guy

In my experience coralline will grow just fine with low calcium levels. It will not grow if Alkalinity is low.

geoj

Originally Posted by FirefightrEMTP
http:///forum/post/3205677
This may show how new I am but how does doing a water change keep the calcium up? I am not disagreeing with you, Im just wanting to learn...
~grace
The salt mix has much more free calcium and alkaline minerals than can remain dissolved in the water. The chemistry of it I don’t fully understand but you take out water that is striped of these minerals and add back water over loaded with calcium and alkaline minerals and your calcium and alkalinity goes up.