QT tank question

after an outbreak of ick in my 90g reef tank killed about 500.00 in fish i decided to buy 20g qt tank. my question is if i buy say 2 fish than require 50+ gallons minimum can i stick them in the qt tank? or do i need to put them in a bigger tank for there quarentine. i really don't want to have to buy a bigger tank just for qt if i don't have to

bigal0221

If you buy the fish at a small size you should be O.K. but if you but them at maximum size then you will def need a bigger QT IMO. I have had two 4" fish in my 20g QT and they did fine but I would not go any bigger.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Just to let you know, it is alway a much better idea to buy one fish for the qt at a time, unless there is a reason not to, such as getting a mated pair, or a school. Part of the QT process is to provide the new fish with a stress free, safe environment where aggression from other fish is not present and where there is not competition for space and food. This gives the fish opportunity to recover from being at the store, and the transport home.
Just get fish that are smaller, before they get big. Obviously a 4" fish is not gong to do well in a 20 gal. However, most fish will be fine for a few weeks; just exercise some judgment.

cwesley512

Do you keep the QT tank running all the time ? or just restart it everytime you want to get a new fish? Do you fill it with the water from the main tank, or does that matter? Do you put live sand and live rock in it? I want to do this, but I've never done it before. I'm starting a new 90g tank soon and I want to keep my fish alive this time! Need some good advise on QT tanks.
It seems like the fish would go through the same stress when you decide to move it to the DT. What are some thoughts on that ?
What process is best to move from the QT to the DT ?

meowzer

Cwesley...this thread should help you
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/127007/faqs-fish-diseases-treatments-quarantine-health-info