queen conch

fixesjets

I recently purchased a queen conch about 2 weeks ago everything seemed to be going ok until a little while ago i noticed one of my hermit crabs was on top of the conch i seperated the two and the hermit crab went on his way.i picked up the conch shell and it doesnt seem to be anything in it.I put the shell on a piece of rock and it has not moved.Can someone tell me how do you know if the animal is still in its shell or do you think its doomed?thanks

katieb

I would just watch it, the hermit may have killed it. If it does not move in a few days, would presume it to be dead.

stanlalee

are queen conches able to flip like fighting conches? If so they would be virtually impossible for hermits to kill. How big was the Queen conch they get pretty big. If its there you should be able to turn it over and see its foot.

fixesjets

thanks for the responses but i turned it over and I dont see anything in the shell nor do I see any remains in the tank but it still has not moved in a few hours

doktorj99

when it retracts you can usually see the little brown foot that it has.....the crab may have eaten it earlier and was going to try the shell out....do you have other shells in there for him???

ninjamini

2 weeks...it probably was acclimated improperly by you or the lfs. It died. Sorry. There cool with the little trunk. Hey I think I will go get one today.

bang guy

My guess is also that it died early on. The foot has an operculum covering that is always easily visible when looking at the Snail. Hermit crabs are not much of a threat to Queen Conch.