Queen Conch

kilbys4

I just added a small clam, about the size of a silver dollar, with little red hairs coming out from the shell. Well during the night my queen conch found it and ate the clam. I thought they only ate alge and waste? Would it have ate the clam while it was alive or could it have died during the night? When I placed the clam in the tank the conch went straight for it and I moved it to another part of the tank. If it did kill my clam, is there anything else I need to keep away from it?
Thanks

tlk

guess you just found out the hard way to check the compatibility between your existing livestock and potential new tank mates (or lunch as the case was here);) ;)

bang guy

A Queen Conch is incapable of digesting a Flame Scallop. If your snail ate your File Clam then it wasn't a Queen Conch. Do you have a picture of the Snail?

bang guy

The only thing I can tell for sure in the pic is that your snail isn't a Strombus gigas. You do not have a Queen Conch.
It could be some type of Pleuroploca sp., perhaps P. persica. It could also be some other snail I'm not familiar with. A really good picture of the opening might help. If it is Pleuroploca sp. then it will eat anything it can catch. Snails, Clams, worms, whatever. it will probably not eat coral but if it got hungry enough it wouldn't surprise me.