question about a new 60g fowlr setup.

bertybert

Alright my question is since it is going to be fowlr. Can I get away with using only a protein skimmer for filtration? Im planning on getting about 50lbs of live sand and 20-30lbs of live rock.
Any and all advice is appreciated.

meowzer

WELCOME TO SWF
I would get more live rock if you are only gonna use a protein skimmer......I have read lots of threads where people use nothing for filtration
I think it will all depend on YOU....your tank maintenance, and also what you keep in it

bertybert

Thanks.
I don't really want to add more live rock... Im going for that "edge of reef more sand bed" kind of look.

srfisher17

IMO, that isn't enough LR to culture enough bacteria for a good bio-filter. If you stock & feed normally, you would probably have an on-going ammonia problem.

srfisher17

Assuming you stock & feed normally; I don't think you have enough surface area (from the LR) to culture enough aerobic bacteria and an ammonia problem is very possible.

D

denniscoy420

If u are not going to have any filter's u must HAVE little waste, so that means 1 or 2 fish max,
so if instead of a filter u do weekly water changes, u might get away with that if u dont overfeed ur fish, but I would spend the 50$ so that u can get more fish and some corals down the road(demending on ur lighting system)
and in closing u will spend the money on the salt and water to do all those water changes that u could of used to get a filter and do bi-weekly water changes I think the reasons why people do it with no filter is to say that I can do it
Goodluck and happy tanking

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Denniscoy420
http:///forum/post/3288734
I I think the reasons why people do it with no filter is to say that I can do it
Goodluck and happy tanking
I agree. LR & a skimmer is really the original Berlin System; but that method depends on much more LR.

buddyro

Plan & Simple.... Get some kind of filtration. Don't CHANCE IT!!! Unless you plan on only keeping Damsels... Make ya set-up a comfortable place for your livestock... A sump/refugium is worth it's wieght in gold compared to spending $20-50 a fish that will die in a week or two... JMO...

S

saxman

Run a sump and fill it (or a section of it) with LR to bump up your biofiltration.

spanko

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertybert http:///forum/thread/378643/question-about-a-new-60g-fowlr-setup#post_3287854
Alright my question is since it is going to be fowlr. Can I get away with using only a protein skimmer for filtration? Im planning on getting about 50lbs of live sand and 20-30lbs of live rock.
Any and all advice is appreciated.
IMO no. If you are going to use the amount of rock and sand stated along with the skimmer then I would also add a canister filter and some good powerhead(s) in the tank for flow. You will want to suspend any detritus in the tank so that it can be removed by the canister and the skimmer. In the canister I would run some Chemipure, Purigen, Rowaphos and some filter floss. This and some good water change schedule and I think you would be okay. Just don't overstock the tank.

lucky2bebc

Nice...Good info here too im looking into setting up a 30g in the future...For some reason I cant start a thread though to get my ?s answered

florida joe

I am going to play devils advocate there and say you can go with just a protein skimmer if you like. IMO with a fish only tank you are dealing mainly with nitrification and de –nitrification. The most important thing will be water movement. Rule of thumb for the amount of sand is around 1 to 1 ½ pounds per gallon so you should be alright with anaerobic bacteria growth. Your nitrification bacteria colonies will grow on the LR as well as the sand bed as long as you can keep a good water flow over them with your power heads. A good schedule of vacuuming sections of the sand will be needed as well as frequent water changes. Of course we are talking about a light bio load . But IMO it can be done