Question about adding peppermint shrimp with other shrimp

jj48

Hey guys. I bought two "peppermint" shrimp from my LFS a few weeks ago since I had a few aptasia to pop up. When the aptasia had not been eaten, I started looking around the board and found that they were not peppermint shtimp at all. They are about 2" long (peppermint shrimp grow to 3/4" according to SWF.com) and are totally brown. I am very mad about this and will not be going back to that LFS.
So my question is - I need to add some peppermint shrimp to my 28g Nano and want to know if need to somehow remove the existing two brown shrimp (and what is the best method other than removing everything from the tank
) or if they will all coexist together. It seems like too many shrimp to me, but I know some of you experts will have a good answer for me!

jj48

On mine, the tail is solid brown/black and not striped like the one in the second photo. Thanks again for any help!!

nycbob

from the look of it, it looks like some sort of cleaner shrimp. it shouldnt bother ur peppermints since it doesnt hv big claws like coral banded shrimp.

U

usirchchris

Originally Posted by jj48
http:///forum/post/2898187
Will it be ok with multiple shrimp in a 28g nano?
as long as there is enough food to go around there should not be any problems. JMHO

alix2.0

BTW, thats the size that SWF ships the shrimp out at, not how big they grow to. i had some peppermints that were about 3 inches long.

C

calvertbill

Originally Posted by alix2.0
http:///forum/post/2898253
BTW, thats the size that SWF ships the shrimp out at, not how big they grow to. i had some peppermints that were about 3 inches long.
+1
My peppermints looked exactly like the SWF photo but they grew up. Mine are now over 2" long and give no signs of not still growing.
And they have
darkened a bit.

bang guy

I don't recognize the species. The photo is fine but the Shrimp look stressed and they tend to lose color when that happens. It does appear to be a Peppermint Shrimp but not a L. wurdemanni. As far as I know only the L. wurdemanni Peppermint Shrimp eat Aiptasia. Most of the color visible in your picture is from eggs.
As long as the Shrimp you add are about the same size as the Shrimp you already have there's no issue with adding more Shrimp from The Cleaner Shrimp Genus.
If you add 3/4" Shrimp and your Shrimp are 2" then there is a possibility that the larger Shrimp will eat the smaller ones after they molt. As usirchchris mentioned, if there's plenty of food then the chances of your Shrimp eating each other goes way down.

jj48

Are there any tricks to removing shrimp without taking everything out of the tank? I can put these two in another tank that is set up. Thanks for your help again, guys. This board is wonderful!