Question about new live rock I just got.

bang guy

Make a long range plan (5 years +). Without a plan you'll thrash just from trend to trend and never get profitable. Start with the classic money makers - Clownfish, Xenia, Zoanthids. Once established (and successful) venture out into exotics.

Once I was established I found a local store willing to buy everything I could produce and from there it became profitable. You are unlikely to get such an arrangement until you have established that you have a quality product and you can deliver reliably.

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtofish1994 http:///t/397234/question-about-new-live-rock-i-just-got#post_3540122
Well the main purpose I am getting into this hobby is to try to breed corals and fish down the road. The tank I have is only a 10 gallon because I bought it on impulse not knowing it would be harder to maintain then a larger tank.

Since investing in the tank I have sparked some more interest across my family, so now my fiancee wants me to invest in a 75 gallon for us which I think is a great idea.

However I already have the 10 gallon set up, with the live rock, and a good sand bed.. I don't want to just waste what I have.

So my plan is for it to house baby corals, like mushrooms, nano corals, aquacultured LPS corals with the 10 gallon, and the 75 gallon will be home to larger corals and aggressive fish.

Does anyone have any suggestions or any opinions on my idea?

Edit: Also thanks to moderator and sweater for helping out with the starfish question, I will keep them for this moment.

I also purchased an aftermarket filter, the 10 gallon came with some annoyingly loud and crappy filter that I replaced with a quietflow 30 which i love, and the lighting is just some light that came with the tank that has a day mode and a night mode, however since upgrading the filter I had to remove the lid, which housed a spot to put the light. So currently the light is sitting on my table not in use.
Oh yeah 10g is pretty small and therefore harder to keep stable. I think you will be happy with a 75g. May I suggest looking into a drilled Reef Ready tank with a properly paired sump tank (I really like the classic three section sump, one for the protein skimmer, one for a refugium, and lastly one for the return pump).

I like the idea of using the 10g for coral. I had plans a year or so ago for setting up a coral quarantine tank (I never actually set it up, but it can be a great idea) where I could keep corals and check them over before putting them into my DT. There are a lot of bad hitchhikers that can do some pretty nasty stuff to coral. And if you don't use the 10g for corals, you could always use it for a fish Quarantine tank or Hospital tank.

My current setup includes a well established 10g QT that has been running for a couple of years. I keep a single damsel in there to keep it going.

If you are going to grow coral, you will need decent lighting. For 10g check out a Par38 bulb to get started.

Noted and very much appreciated! I was actually looking at clownfish for awhile because I figured the movie made them the number one sellers of cheaply priced fish.

I actually have 2 10 gallon tanks and one is empty but

Short term however what would you suggest I use this established 10 gallon tank for? I was thinking of using it with the other 10 gallon but since they are still two separate tanks I still don't know what to do with what I got.

I don't really want to set up the other 10 gallon either unless it was really needed.

My focus on breeding has always been on corals though, fish come in as a close second but in the end I'd go with whatever was more profitable.

I just don't know what to do with my current tiny tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///t/397234/question-about-new-live-rock-i-just-got/20#post_3540126
Oh yeah 10g is pretty small and therefore harder to keep stable. I think you will be happy with a 75g. May I suggest looking into a drilled Reef Ready tank with a properly paired sump tank (I really like the classic three section sump, one for the protein skimmer, one for a refugium, and lastly one for the return pump).

I like the idea of using the 10g for coral. I had plans a year or so ago for setting up a coral quarantine tank (I never actually set it up, but it can be a great idea) where I could keep corals and check them over before putting them into my DT. There are a lot of bad hitchhikers that can do some pretty nasty stuff to coral. And if you don't use the 10g for corals, you could always use it for a fish Quarantine tank or Hospital tank.

My current setup includes a well established 10g QT that has been running for a couple of years. I keep a single damsel in there to keep it going.

If you are going to grow coral, you will need decent lighting. For 10g check out a Par38 bulb to get started.

This is what I would love to focus on, a quarantine tank of some kind. I want to focus on corals but since i'm starting out i'm honestly open to anything

That way it wouldn't be a waste but the problem is I've already stocked it with all the live rock and they were pretty wet with the water they came in. I don't know if this would be considered too risky for a quarantine tank.

I trust the store because it is the best salt water store in town... but when I think of quarantine I think of completely sterile no live rock no live sand no nothing, and i've already stocked my 10 gallon full of life.

I'm leaning towards breeding something in it to practice, be it small fish or corals I wouldn't mind either one.. but they'd have to be tiny considering the size. I can use the empty 10 gallon for a quarantine for the offspring.

I would go with clownfish but I don't even know if two 10 gallons will suffice for two clownfish and their fry.

I'd prefer clownfish to start with because I heard they all are capable of changing gender. But I'm interested in some of the aquacultured lps corals I have been seeing around or nano corals too

However after researching online some of the things you posted the Clownfish, Xenia, Zoanthids are my answers right there.

I always felt like clownfish were the way to go, i'm thinking some zoanthids and 1 pair of clownfish would work.

I can use the other 10 gallon for the fry

What i have read online says for a 10 gallon tank the best choice to breed is Occularis, and I don't think the zoanthids will be much of a problem.

sweatervest13

Yup... I agree with Bang Guy. Try the 10g with the LS and LR already in it as a little coral an invert tank and cut your teeth with some Zoa's and Mushrooms. You could get away with using a little T5 light for those types of coral. You mentioned you have another 10g... Why not set that up as a fish QT tank... No sand, no Live Rock.... Just a HOB filter, heater, powerhead, and I would put in a large coffee cup or two, or maybe a piece of PVC piping. Fill that baby with Salt and water. Put a little food in it each day (ghost feeding) and it will be ready for fish in no time.

You seem like you are on the right track. Just remember, nothing good happens fast in the world of saltwater tanks. Bad things do however happen fast. Slow and steady wins the race most times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///t/397234/question-about-new-live-rock-i-just-got/20#post_3540132
Yup... I agree with Bang Guy. Try the 10g with the LS and LR already in it as a little coral an invert tank and cut your teeth with some Zoa's and Mushrooms. You could get away with using a little T5 light for those types of coral. You mentioned you have another 10g... Why not set that up as a fish QT tank... No sand, no Live Rock.... Just a HOB filter, heater, powerhead, and I would put in a large coffee cup or two, or maybe a piece of PVC piping. Fill that baby with Salt and water. Put a little food in it each day (ghost feeding) and it will be ready for fish in no time.

You seem like you are on the right track. Just remember, nothing good happens fast in the world of saltwater tanks. Bad things do however happen fast. Slow and steady wins the race most times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///t/397234/question-about-new-live-rock-i-just-got/20#post_3540131
Try Zoanthids or Mushroom corals. Nothing exotic until you get more experience (just a suggestion).

Perfect! I have my mind straight for once.

I'll work on getting that other 10 gallon up for the QT tank. I like the idea of the PVC piping just to give them a tiny shelter.

ill give my focus to zoanthids and look for a pair of Occularis clownfish in the near future also some supplies for the QT tank and i'll look up that T5 light youre talkin about and check it out.

Appreciate the help guys.

bang guy

Here's something to use for reference. It's a 10 gallon I set up years ago. It had NO MECHANICAL FILTER but it had a lot of water flow and significant lighting. Nothing in that tank was purchased, I bred/raised/propogated all of it myself.

FYI - I used to sell the mushroom in the lower right for $50 a polyp and never had to wait for a buyer.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///t/397234/question-about-new-live-rock-i-just-got#post_3540116
Nope.

Those stars and tiny critters are what you are buying when you purchase LR (along with all the beneficial bacteria contained in the nooks and crannies). I have never sees tiny stars for sale by themselves, but if they were sold, I'd bet they would sell for a dime a dozen (so, less than a penny a piece, lol).

If stars like this are giving you cause for concern, just wait until you find your first bristleworm. Those things look freaky.

I would not sweat the stars... Like Bang Guy said chances are that they are beneficial or at least not harmful. HTH's Good luck with the new tank!!

You would be surprised, I found a refugium store on-line (not allowed to post the link) ...everything for getting one all set up. Breeding copepods, amphipods and such...4 microstars cost over $25.00, plus they add shipping costs on top of it.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtofish1994 http:///t/397234/question-about-new-live-rock-i-just-got/20#post_3540130

This is what I would love to focus on, a quarantine tank of some kind. I want to focus on corals but since i'm starting out i'm honestly open to anything

That way it wouldn't be a waste but the problem is I've already stocked it with all the live rock and they were pretty wet with the water they came in. I don't know if this would be considered too risky for a quarantine tank.

I trust the store because it is the best salt water store in town... but when I think of quarantine I think of completely sterile no live rock no live sand no nothing, and i've already stocked my 10 gallon full of life.

I'm leaning towards breeding something in it to practice, be it small fish or corals I wouldn't mind either one.. but they'd have to be tiny considering the size. I can use the empty 10 gallon for a quarantine for the offspring.

I would go with clownfish but I don't even know if two 10 gallons will suffice for two clownfish and their fry.

I'd prefer clownfish to start with because I heard they all are capable of changing gender. But I'm interested in some of the aquacultured lps corals I have been seeing around or nano corals too

However after researching online some of the things you posted the Clownfish, Xenia, Zoanthids are my answers right there.

I always felt like clownfish were the way to go, i'm thinking some zoanthids and 1 pair of clownfish would work.

I can use the other 10 gallon for the fry

What i have read online says for a 10 gallon tank the best choice to breed is Occularis, and I don't think the zoanthids will be much of a problem.

I'm pretty sure my fish book says a clownfish needs a 30g tank????
...Silverado borrowed my book, so I can't double check the info, my memory isn't what it used to be. Silverado, if you see this...check out the info for me please...

sweatervest13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/397234/question-about-new-live-rock-i-just-got/20#post_3540262

You would be surprised, I found a refugium store on-line (not allowed to post the link) ...everything for getting one all set up. Breeding copepods, amphipods and such...4 microstars cost over $25.00, plus they add shipping costs on top of it.
Color me surprised!!! Great info Flower!! Thank you for the pointing that out. Its amazing sometimes how some things have value when you might not have expected.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///t/397234/question-about-new-live-rock-i-just-got/20#post_3540266
Color me surprised!!! Great info Flower!! Thank you for the pointing that out. Its amazing sometimes how some things have value when you might not have expected.

I thought it was the dumbest thing...I mean you get more then enough on live rock, who would pay money for a few critters. Then, my heater broke and electrocuted all the inverts in the tank, the tank just couldn't seem rebalance after that, turns out those little critters are pretty important in a reef. I went to a fellow I knew who owned a fish store...LOL, he was kind enough to give me all the critters I wanted. I was poised to buy them from that site. I still tell folks if they don't want them, send them my way. Silverado was taking all the bristle worms I could catch...everything has a value, even ugly ole bristle worms.

trigger40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///t/397234/question-about-new-live-rock-i-just-got/20#post_3540126

ive been reading this post and i find what yall are saying to be interesting but i have a question. i have a qt to but i dont have a fish in ther, i this bad?or is it ok but you just perfer to do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado61 http:///t/397234/question-about-new-live-rock-i-just-got/20#post_3540304
Amphiprion Ocellaris, AKA: Ocellaris Anemonefish, False Clown Anemonefish, False Percula Clownfish. Minimum tank size 20 gallon. The Clarks Clownfish, Tomato Clownfish and Fire Anemone Clowns are the only ones listed for 30 gallon so you were close Flower. The rest that are listed in your book are a minimum 20 gallon tank.

The only Clowns recommended in a 10 gallon is the fry. Once they reach 1/4 to 1/2 inch, even they need to be moved to a bigger tank.

I am well aware that the " recommended " size for the ocellaris is 20 - 30 gallon, but they will have to deal with it.

just because it says 20 gallon does not mean the fish will blow up in a 10 gallon.

I have heard enough success stories with the 10 gallon that I'm confident it will be fine, I hope you don't think every fish store keeps their fish in the " recommended " tank size do you.

Of course the bigger the tank the less stress for the fish the better it is, but I know i'll be able to get the practice I need even with the 10 gallon.

I plan to put two black and white ocellaris in my 10 gallon and the fry in the other 10 gallon no offense but I don't really need anymore help with this decision.

Remember this is just to get my foot in the door not my permanent setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado61 http:///t/397234/question-about-new-live-rock-i-just-got/20#post_3540338
Dude, do you cop an attitude with everybody? Flower asked me to post the info and I posted it. I did it more for her than for you anyway. Trust me, this is the last time I respond to any thread even remotely related to you.

Oh I'm sorry are you upset that I don't want to be your best friend?

You and your posse of clowns have tried to flame me since I have arrived, I don't care if you wish to play nice all of a sudden.

Don't worry though, I'll still help you out.

jay0705

HELP!!!!!! Ha ha ha I think we all know how to kill are fish and handle our tanks improperly, but thank u anyway