Question about PH/Alk and all that jazz :)

jeff10

I measure everything out like a mad scientist on crack and I am ALWAYS reading people with low Dkh/PH but I am ALWAYS high? How do I bring it down, water changes? I use Kent Marine Pro Buffer if you must know. Ummm, all 3 tanks are good with numbers

geoj

Post the numbers, because the books give conservative numbers. If you are high within reason don't change a thing. As the tank gets older it will revers.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff10 http:///forum/thread/380596/question-about-ph-alk-and-all-that-jazz#post_3312889
I measure everything out like a mad scientist on crack and I am ALWAYS reading people with low Dkh/PH but I am ALWAYS high? How do I bring it down, water changes? I use Kent Marine Pro Buffer if you must know. Ummm, all 3 tanks are good with numbers

Well actually that answers your question, the only time I ever used Kent’s Marine buffer was on my original set up. The very first time I filled the tank.

Since that time I use Instant ocean sea salt, now I switched to Instant Ocean reef crystals for water chnges. The only thing I buffer is my RO water with a tiny bit of Alkalinity buffer.

jeff10

The numbers were at 14, and I don't have a RO unit but after talking on here someone mentioned a grocery store has that water for like 25 cents so I am starting to do that. My roommate brought home an empty 5 gallon jug and I have 2 two gallon jugs so now my water changes are done with the "good stuff" I am hoping the numbers will drop but testing it seems to stay high around 14 rather than the 8-12 range you want for your Alk and all.

geoj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff10 http:///forum/thread/380596/question-about-ph-alk-and-all-that-jazz#post_3313116
The numbers were at 14, and I don't have a RO unit but after talking on here someone mentioned a grocery store has that water for like 25 cents so I am starting to do that. My roommate brought home an empty 5 gallon jug and I have 2 two gallon jugs so now my water changes are done with the "good stuff" I am hoping the numbers will drop but testing it seems to stay high around 14 rather than the 8-12 range you want for your Alk and all.
14 dkH is high but not very and is nothing to worry about.
What is the calcium and pH?

geoj

You should not need to add buffer to a new batch of mixed salt water. It is should to mix right where we want it to be. So did you test it?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJ http:///forum/thread/380596/question-about-ph-alk-and-all-that-jazz#post_3313161
You should not need to add buffer to a new batch of mixed salt water. It is should to mix right where we want it to be. So did you test it?

+1 and do yourself a favor...stop using tap water and go to Wal-mart with some jugs for some RO (Reverse Osmoses) water...37 cents a gallon here by me. The grief tap is going to cause in your tank is going to cost allot more to fix in the long run than what you would spend on water. There is more than clorine in tap water..what do your fish need with fluoride for example.

bang guy

Buffer is only useful for raising alkalinity so there's no need for it unless you want to raise alkalinity.

jeff10

Yeah I am already buying water from stores now. its 25 cents at this place, cant beat that. My salt is very high as well (Evaporation I am guessing) so I am not using "salt" water doing more top offs with about 4-5 gallons of fresh water.

Im out of ph test, have to get some tomorrow, but calcium is 500, 480, and 400 in the three tanks.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff10 http:///forum/thread/380596/question-about-ph-alk-and-all-that-jazz#post_3313184
Yeah I am already buying water from stores now. its 25 cents at this place, cant beat that. My salt is very high as well (Evaporation I am guessing) so I am not using "salt" water doing more top offs with about 4-5 gallons of fresh water.

Im out of ph test, have to get some tomorrow, but calcium is 500, 480, and 400 in the three tanks.

Yes evaporation...watch your water level if it drops the SG goes up. So try and keep the tank water at the same level all the time. You are correct, water evaporates not the salt so just add the RO water, do not buffer it UNLESS your PH drops, then a tiny amount of alkalinity buffer 1/4th teaspoon per 3g of RO water...ALWAYS test first.

Calcium between 350-500 is good don't mess with it.

jeff10

Thanks lady Flower! and everyone else, I am hoping it just drops naturally now that I know I dont have to add the buffer all the time :)