Question for those of you bickering about Iraq

jmj6239

Questions for those of you bickering about Iraq.
How many of you know someone who is a current Veteran of either Iraq of the War on Terrorism?
Have you talked to them before you go spouting your mouths? or do you rely on the Media for all of your information? Ask them how to resolve the situation, not some politician in washington, who too is relying on the media, and playing political games. What is the definition of a terrorist???
Look it up!!! Most of the people we are fighting in Iraq aren't even Iraqi, so how can you say we aren't fighting terrorists. agreed not all but alot more than you think.
Do you ever hear about the northern third of Iraq, I dont, because no one has been killed there. You know why because the local government is doing it's job! it is succeeding and rebuilding! you just dont see or hear it! blood and disaster always get the headlines.
I am veteran who has served in both Iraq and Pakistan, for the war on terrorism, yes we were there, but again you'd have to look for the facts, not rely on someone else. I have lost many friends and collouges over the last few years, but I am proud of why I was there, and I would go back if I was called upon to do so!
You want our troops home, you think we are spread too thin? Maybe we should bring them home from all the other places too! Bosnia, England, Germany, Italy, Japan, South America or any number of places that we have helped, been at war with, or staged since the cold war. You want an end to war. What about Korea? We have been at war there since the 50's, we singed the armistice (cease fire) but there has never been a peace treaty! so we have how many thousand people stationed in S. Korea?

jennythebugg

as for the politics of war i try to keep my oar out of that ocean .but i just wanted to say thank you for serving our country so bravely to protect our freedom

nigerbang

Originally Posted by jmj6239
Questions for those of you bickering about Iraq.
How many of you know someone who is a current Veteran of either Iraq of the War on Terrorism?
Have you talked to them before you go spouting your mouths? or do you rely on the Media for all of your information? Ask them how to resolve the situation, not some politician in washington, who too is relying on the media, and playing political games. What is the definition of a terrorist???
Look it up!!! Most of the people we are fighting in Iraq aren't even Iraqi, so how can you say we aren't fighting terrorists. agreed not all but alot more than you think.
Do you ever hear about the northern third of Iraq, I dont, because no one has been killed there. You know why because the local government is doing it's job! it is succeeding and rebuilding! you just dont see or hear it! blood and disaster always get the headlines.
I am veteran who has served in both Iraq and Pakistan, for the war on terrorism, yes we were there, but again you'd have to look for the facts, not rely on someone else. I have lost many friends and collouges over the last few years, but I am proud of why I was there, and I would go back if I was called upon to do so!
You want our troops home, you think we are spread too thin? Maybe we should bring them home from all the other places too! Bosnia, England, Germany, Italy, Japan, South America or any number of places that we have helped, been at war with, or staged since the cold war. You want an end to war. What about Korea? We have been at war there since the 50's, we singed the armistice (cease fire) but there has never been a peace treaty! so we have how many thousand people stationed in S. Korea?
Well said....I for one do know people that have been there and some that still are..., and they all say that they would go back if called, and tell of how much good that we are doing there and how most of the towns love to see us...
Thank you for your services..

crimzy

I respect your services however disagree with your point of view. With all due respect, your opinion on the war and national security is just like everyone elses... an opinion. There are also a lot of soldiers who serve their country honorably but disagree completely with the war and with our leadership. We are all individuals, soldiers included, so I wouldn't paint with such a broad brush and imply that all soldiers are of like thinking.
Additionally, god has given us the ability, and our constitution has given us the protection to think and speak our minds freely on such issues. I don't feel that my opinion should be censored because I do not have a family member in this war. Personally, I think that someone who has not enlisted is pretty hypocritical by arguing FOR the war. Like it is ok to sacrifice someone ELSE'S life for the cause but they are unwilling to sacrifice their own.
While I am completely against this war, please do not construe this as not supporting our troops. Personally, I am not willing to overlook the sacrifice of thousands of young Americans.
And by the way, we are now fighting terrorists in Iraq.... this is true. This was not true when the war started, nor was it the reason given for us going to war.

groupergenius

Originally Posted by crimzy
I respect your services however disagree with your point of view. With all due respect, your opinion on the war and national security is just like everyone elses... an opinion. There are also a lot of soldiers who serve their country honorably but disagree completely with the war and with our leadership. We are all individuals, soldiers included, so I wouldn't paint with such a broad brush and imply that all soldiers are of like thinking.
Could be that the media seeks out Soldiers who oppose?? Why do you not hear, in the media, Soldiers talking about all the good happening? Because it doesn't suit their cause.
Additionally, god has given us the ability, and our constitution has given us the protection to think and speak our minds freely on such issues. I don't feel that my opinion should be censored because I do not have a family member in this war. Personally, I think that someone who has not enlisted is pretty hypocritical by arguing FOR the war. Like it is ok to sacrifice someone ELSE'S life for the cause but they are unwilling to sacrifice their own.
I agree with the first part, but the second part not so much. Kinda like saying it's not OK to complain about the Prez if you haven't run for the job yourself.

While I am completely against this war, please do not construe this as not supporting our troops. Personally, I am not willing to overlook the sacrifice of thousands of young Americans.
And by the way, we are now fighting terrorists in Iraq.... this is true. This was not true when the war started, nor was it the reason given for us going to war.
Fighting the terrorists now in Iraq is due to the fact that the terrorists are doing anything they can to obstruct the rebuilding of Iraq. They kill more Iraqi's than us. Can we agree on that, maybe.

crimzy

Originally Posted by GrouperGenius
Fighting the terrorists now in Iraq is due to the fact that the terrorists are doing anything they can to obstruct the rebuilding of Iraq. They kill more Iraqi's than us. Can we agree on that, maybe.

I agree with that.

mike22cha

My neighbor's son is in Iraq and my dad, him, and I talked. He said that before they didn't have enough troops in there to hold and now they got some more in there and they are doing better.
Another neighbor who I'm good friends with, just got out of the navy because he didn't want to go to Iraq because he'd be driving vechiles around which isn't the safest job down there, and he's got kids and a wife.
I don't agree with the war, nobody should agree with war, but I do support our troops. I respect that some are fighting a war they don't support, and some are fighting with us in mind. All deserve our gratitude.
But if we do pull out, Iraq will be overrun. That wouldn't be too good. But also Iraq is having trouble of supporting themselves. I don't think there is a good way to stay in or pull out. Either way, it's going to take a blow on America.

flcandy

To many of my friends I graduated with went right into the army/marines. They want to be there, and tell me so all the time. Most dont see a lot of action but love that they are helping people. I dont want to seem like I am either in support or against it but I want them to do what they love. Why should we listen to the media? How many times have they lied and changed things before?
Just because they show you only the bad on TV doesnt mean there isnt good going on over there. Why do we never hear about the woman who gave her life for her child? Because shooting and robberies make for better ratings.
Didnt want to stir the pot but thats JMO.

devil dog

I have been all over the world and there is NO place like the USA and with that there are NO people like Americans… I think we all forgot how we got where we are today and how you need to fight for what is right. The Earth is a small place the more people there are the smaller it gets. Now when you have countries like Iraq you need to step in and do something about it for the grater good of mankind… what if we did nothing in WWII and when say three or four thousand Americans die we left and did not finish the job! Where would we be today?
I have lost friend and family in lots of wars that were fought for this country and have been shot my self and I would go and defend the country for you week people that won’t stand up and fight for what made this country grate they will gust sit back and bitch about how they could do it better!!!
******** Please don't use abbreviations for filtered words 1Journeyman

reefraff

My kid is stationed near Mosul. He says if there are people there who think the war is a bad idea they must not talk about it because he doesn't know anyone who is against it. That doesn't mean they don't want to get the hell out of Dodge

Where he's at is actually in the rear with the gear so they don't get to see the really nasty stuff. They are near the Kurds where things have gone well from the start.

scotts

I think it is interesting how wanting 3 young Americans to not die today can make you unpatriotic.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Scotts
I think it is interesting how wanting 3 young Americans to not die today can make you unpatriotic.
No one wants Americans to die... so that's not the argument.

mike22cha

Unfortuanetly there are two arguments going on.
One, which I feel is over so get over it, is whether we made the right choice going in. We are already in, let's worry about now.
Then of course we are arguing about what we should do now. Which no sides give in any so it's getting us nowhere.

scotts

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Well that is the feeling that is coming across, if you are against the war you do not love this country enough.

crimzy

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
That is an argument that is brought up on a regular basis, (see Devil Dog's message above). Many people, maybe not you, argue that those who don't support the war are somehow unpatriotic.

flcandy

Originally Posted by Scotts
Well that is the feeling that is coming across, if you are against the war you do not love this country enough.
Not so.
You can be against the war and be American just dont say that this is wrong. It may be but remember what America cried for after 9/11?
We asked for it and now we have to deal with it. I know some may not have wanted it but guess what majority rules in a democratic government and most people wanted to get the a-holes that killed 10,000's of people with just what 4 planes?
I just want my friends home safe and sound but I dont think we should pull out, we would look like idiots and then what would the world think of us Americans? We are supposed to be a superpower yet we cant fight a war? What about WWII? We went in an did the same thing to Germany, where was the anti-war rallies then? The terrorists are doing the same thing to the citizens over there that the Nazis were doing to the Jewish people. So why dont we defend the defenseless since we are so damn strong?

crimzy

Originally Posted by FlCandy
I know some may not have wanted it but guess what majority rules in a democratic government and most people wanted to get the a-holes that killed 10,000's of people with just what 4 planes?
Why do so many people think that we went into Iraq to avenge 9/11? Could it be because Bush consistently made false references to 9/11 when he wanted support for the war in Iraq? And at that time, all of the intelligence knew that Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. Still, to this day, years later, people are still have faith in the false PROPAGANDA we were fed by Bush.

flcandy

I know about all of that I know that there was no "vote" but if we could have gone due to public outcry for war we would have. I know I almost joined because of that reason and then thought I could do more here...
I still want to look into the coast guard but hey who knows.
All I know is that my Canadian families know nothing about the war and yelled at me about bush for about an hour. I had to get good and drunk...

mike22cha

You both are right, we went after Al Quida first to avenge 9/11, then we went into Iraq, for reasons unkown which don't matter now since we're in there. I agree with FlCandy, we are a superpower and we should show them what Americans are made of.
Unfortuantely we don't got a lot of Americans in America. We got either Democrats or Republicans. During WWII our nation was mad as h3ll and they all wanted a piece of Japan. That's how we turned our car plants into plane and tank factories. That's how so many men joined up for the fight. Now, the Army recruiting people are paying 20000$ to anyone who will join and go to basic training in a month because we don't have enough people that want to go over there because the don't believe in the fight.