Question regarding open brain coral

katsafados

Hey, I wanted to get an open brain coral which my LFS was selling. I currently have 2x40watt pc lighting on a 10g tank. I was wondering if this would be enough light for me to have one. The coral will be on my sand bed in the middle of the tank. They have multi coloured ones and then the red(outside) green center ones. Is there one that will need less light? Also how can you tell if they are healthy and what will be some problems that might occur while having one.
All information would be appreciated!
Attachment 237433
Attachment 237434
Attachment 237435

nycbob

from the pics, they look healthy. make sure no skeleton is exposed. best placement is on sandbed. with ur light over a 10 gallon, it should be fine. also make sure low flow over the coral.

katsafados

Which one would you say, would require less care or be easier to care for? Or all of them the same. I want the colours to really pop if they are going to be i nthe center of my tank.

nycbob

all of the open brains r pretty much the same when it comes to care requirement. personally i think the goblet brains r easier than the one u hv in the pics.

katsafados

They dont have nay other types of brains in stock. This was the first time I've seen a brain coral at the LFS. I also have no others around me and refuse to buy livestock online because of shipping prices.

nycbob

if thats the case, give it a shot. if u feed the brain weekly, it will grow faster. best time to feed is at night when light is out.

katsafados

Well I dont want it to grow fast haha..
Its only a 10g tank with 8lbs of LR so there isnt that much room:p
I'm off to go buy it!

katsafados

So I went out and bought the green and red one.. the guy at the LFS said the colourful one was closed so he doesnt know if its dead or doesnt like where it is. He told me to go with the red/ green one since it was fully open and looked healthy.

katsafados

they are nanno powerheads lol.. the flow doesnt even get to the bottom of the sand bed.. let alone 4 inches away from the power head itself lol. Ones also pointed more towards the rock and downward.. and the other is pointed up at the surface.

K

kravjitsu

Originally Posted by nycbob
http:///forum/post/3211105
from the pics, they look healthy. make sure no skeleton is exposed. best placement is on sandbed. with ur light over a 10 gallon, it should be fine. also make sure low flow over the coral.

Originally Posted by nycbob

http:///forum/post/3211316
looks good. make sure no direct flow.
If skeleton is exposed, is it all downhill from there? Or is it possible for a brain to continue on even with part of it's skelton exposed? I think mine just died a little in one spot. It hasn't been happy for a while.
I don't know where I got this impression but I thought they LIKED direct flow. They don't?? I try feeding mine but it does not seem to ever open up its mouth and eat. I see its mouth (mouths? looks like more than one actually) open but whenever I try to feed it it closes.
HELP??

nycbob

if the skeleton is exposed, then its not happy. immediate action should be taken to remedy the issue, or tissue will further recede. no direct flow. in fact no coral likes direct flow. brains like to be fed mostly at night.

K

kravjitsu

I'm going to try feeding tonight. I have 2 tanks, my smaller tank is in much better shape than my large tank. My corals in my small tank are much happier so we moved the brain in there last night. I put it high on a rock though to be closer to the PC's but I think it might be in too direct of a flow then. I will readjust tonight. I always turn off powerheads and filter when feeding but never do with the big tank - maybe it's a food issue.
Will find out tonight.